Friday, June 12, 2009

Tomorrow.


June 13, 2009 marks the 11th anniversary of my mom's death. For those who don't already know, my mom passed away from colon cancer that had metastacized to her liver when she was 53. She died on Saturday, June 13, 2008. I always find it significant when her deathiversary (which is what I call it) falls on the same actual day of the week that she died. Because I'm weird like that.


All this week, I've been noticing the 11:11 mark more frequently than usual on the digital clocks around me, so that's nice. I wrote a post about this a long time ago, when I found out that I wasn't the only one that found meaning behind the 11:11 mark on the digital clock, and then wound up googling it to find out that LOADS of people find significance behind the 11:11 mark on a digital clock. This didn't make me feel any less special. In fact, it had the opposite effect because I hadn't ever heard of anyone else feeling a level of significance with 11:11. I thought it was my thing that my mom had given me. But you can read more about it here, or here, or here, if you want to. I just started saying hello to her one day in 2001 when I saw the 11:11 mark on the clock. I didn't know why I did it, but it just seemed like the right thing to do. I'd see that it was 11:11, and I'd say, "Oh, hi mom!" and have a little conversation with her in my head about how things were going. I'd ask her if Dan was doing ok, and then I'd move on with my day, as I assumed she did with hers. I believe it was Ms. Pants that posted something about the 11:11 phenomenon once, sometime in 2005, or something. I can't remember. But that was where I found out that there was a reason why I was doing what I'd been doing for all those years...I just didn't know it.


So anyway, mom's been saying hello a lot this week...at least 3 times. To the point where it makes me giggle to see it again when I see it on the computer, or on the bedside clock, or in my car.


I love my mom a lot. It sucks that she had to die as young as she did, but I'm grateful for the continued presence she blesses me with in my life.

4 comments:

faithstwin said...

That's been happening to me too.

I love that pic of Mom. She was so pretty!

Faith said...

I know! Any idea how old she was in that photo? I tried to figure it out by working on older sisters' ages, but I couldn't get it. I'm guessing she was in her late 20's, right?

It's literally the only photo I have of her in my computer...well, I have another one, but she was wearing scary makeup and her eyes were closed, so, yeah...

Hound Doggy said...

You really look a lot like her...

Jill said...

You really do look quite a bit like her- she was gorgeous. :)