Friday, July 10, 2009

I'm not crying...it's just been raining on my face.*

My boss has been beyond busy for the past 4 or 5 months, planning for the announcement our company made yesterday, and how it would effect our team and the other teams we work with. Meetings have been plentiful. Presentations have been bountiful. And I think he's glad it's finally all out and done with. (And I'm glad for him.)

After the final call with our direct team yesterday, he came out to my desk and asked me if I could help him out with something. I said I'd be happy to, as usual. And he said, "Ok, I'm going to need you to give me a shock, or something, every time you hear me use the word 'basically.'"

I immediately smiled, and started to chuckle. And he went on to say that he had suddenly noticed himself using that word all the time in all of his meetings over the last couple of days. I told him that it's been happening for about a year, and while it was kind of annoying at first, I'm so used to it now, I hardly notice it myself! I went on to tell him that I actually wondered, back when he started doing it, if I should say something, but I didn't want to make him self-conscious, or feel bad, so I just let it go. He was all, "I can't believe how many times I say it!" I told him that now that he's noticed himself doing it, he's likely to stop over time.

Everyone has their thing. I say "whatever" and call everything "evil". My ex brother-in-law used the phrase "and, oh, by the way" a LOT, and was an over-user of athletic analogies in meetings. Leo has this thing he does when he's telling a story about work, home, whatever (oops...sorry!) where he will stop mid-sentence to say, "Never mind." And then he'll continue on. It's funny.

Anyway, my boss wants me to ask the admin with the credit card if I can order a shock collar for him, so we can get him to stop saying "basically" all the effing time. I don't know what it will be like to sit through my next meeting with him on Tuesday next week. Hahahahaha!

What's YOUR over-used word? If you used to have a problem with one, but you've managed to break free of it, what was it, and how did you stop?


*Leo and I are watching season one of Flight of the Concords. His hair cutting dude gave him a CD last night that has a bunch of their music recorded on it, and I got to listen to it on my way to work this morning. I fucking love Bret and Jemaine. MAN they are funny! If you don't already watch this show, get it from Netflix or Blockbuster or wherever, and enjoy. I guarantee you'll fucking love it. And if you don't, then I don't wanna know you any more...go away.

12 comments:

Nick said...

Dude.

And, dude, I totally stopped.

Anonymous said...

What happened to the IBM outsourcing deal? Will this one be any better?

faithstwin said...

I think the word I over use is 'dude'. I have no desire to stop using it. =D

Faith said...

Anonymous, I don't know who you are, but I actually prefer to keep work life and my blog as separate as possible, so I'm not discussing specifics beyond my boss overusing the word "basically" here, ok? Sorry!

"Dude" is a very popular word. I'd forgotten about that one for myself. Hm. I still think I saw "whatever" more, though. Maybe I need to record myself for a week, and figure it out...

Nick said...

Dued - whatever!

Jill said...

Hmm- I think Jesus is my most over used word. Is that weird?

Waldo Oiseau said...

Absolutely!

Absolutely is absolutely annoying, but I absolutely can't stop using it.

Faith said...

Jill, I'm pretty sure that being Jesus's best friend sorta necessitates the overuse of the word. So that just makes sense, really.

emawkc said...

I personally tend to overuse the word "gofuckyourself" -- especially in professional situations.

Faith said...

I totally forgot about my use of the word "fuck". I don't know what I was thinking! I must've been using someone else's brain when I wrote the post.

faithstwin said...

No shit!

Amber said...

I say "ri-DIC-culous!" more than I need to be!!