Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Collections and "things"

So I was catching up on Dooce last night, and came across this post about her mild obsession with the vintage globes. She was talking about how Jon seemed a little wary of her latest additions to the collection, and even asked her, "Is this going to become a thing?" I started laughing hard enough for Leo to want to know what was up, so I read it to him. And I said, "Bet my clock and mirror obsession doesn't seem all that bad now, hm?" See, clocks and mirrors take up less square footage than something like a round ball mounted on a center stand. So I win. (I think...)

Leo has his own things that he obsesses over, and I only mock him a lil' bit for them because they actually benefit me, for the most part. Lately, he's taken to an immersion in books on "tape." He goes to the library and checks out several at a time, then uploads them to iTunes , and puts them on his bottomless iPod (which I hope isn't illegal, and if it is, then know that I'm lying, and he actually listens to them on my ancient disc-man). I've never listened to a book on tape, technically. (Being forced to listen to the life stories of Lee Iacocca and Carl Karcher while on road trips with dad while trapped in the car for hours on end shouldn't count, dammit.) But I would imagine that if I was doing it while just hanging out, staring into space, it'd be weird.

So while Leo is at work, the books make sense. He can listen to them and tune out everything else as he sets up his line, cleans the freezer, or changes the oil in the fryers, or whatever. But when he's home, he's not just gonna watch the yard or stare at the wall while he listens. Nuh-uh...his favorite thing to do is - and I'm totally not joking about this - starch his shirts. So he sits on a chair next to the ironing board in the closet, and starches and irons and starches and irons for apparently hours on end. The trouble is, he only has so many shirts. (And he's not allowed to fucking starch my shit. My things are soft and flowy, dammit!) So what else does he do when he's listening to a particularly riveting book? He cleans. The house has been so clean over the last two weeks, my laziness on weekends has been able to increase exponentially. I went to use the toaster the other day, and there wasnt a single crumb in the catch-tray. The kitchen floor has been mopped. The front shrubs have been trimmed. The bathrooms have been scrubbed from top to bottom...twice. The only thing he apparently doesn't do is wash the sheets on the bed. ::sigh:: Not sure why!

Anyway, this is a weird obsession I can kind of get behind, is my point. The only issue I have is that I wish he would pick up an actual book and read it now and then...keep in practice, or what have you. But if my toilets are gonna be so sparkling all the damned time, I might be willing to let that go...

The globe collection thing is pretty cool looking, though. Not gonna lie.

5 comments:

Layla said...

I bet he didn't even use comet on the bathroom floor either!? ;)

Faith said...

Hahahaha! Thank goodness we're Swiffer Wetjet kinda folks.

Can you imagine? Ugh...the grit! UGH!

flowerparts@yahoo.com said...

that is hilarious! i have a hard time w/ books on tape..it's like they're not real or something...however with a spotless house i'd be letting him listen nonstop too! ha!

faithstwin said...

You know what I am thinking...

I wish I had one of him!

Jill said...

Um Faith, will you please send Leo over to my house to clean and iron? That would be super awesome. Tell him I'll pay him in audio books.

Thanks!