Monday, July 13, 2009

Yep, I definitely needed that.

I think I have IBS, or something. Definitely have something, but I'm not sure what to make of it. Regardless, the symptoms of whatever I have? Delightful. Perfectly fucking wonderful. Especially during working hours. It's like a fucking party in my lower intestine. Which is fun, of course. Woo.

We went to Whole Foods yesterday to grab some fresh (previously frozen, of course) fish for a lomi lomi recipe that was in our recent Food Network magazine. I thought a particular slab of salmon looked really nice, so we asked the fish monger to cut us a pound of it, please. And Leo added that we'd like the skin removed. "Do you want me to weigh it before I remove the skin, or after?" he asked us. I walked away...that was too dumb of a question for me to be around on a hot Sunday in a crowded organic store. I heard Leo tell him that we'd prefer for it to be weighed without the skin, please. (You know, since we weren't buying the skin and everything. Really, fish monger? Really???)

Then Leo joined me, and we wandered through to the chip section to find some yummy, better-for-us-than-fried chips to go with the pico Leo planned on making when we got home, and then we were off to the checkout.

Leo had been carrying the fish around with him, and so when it went through the scanner, and I noticed it cost more than the $14 is was supposed to (it was $13.99 per pound), I was all, "Wait a minute...how much fish did that guy give us?" And the check out guy held it up so I could see that we had received 1.24 pounds of fucking fish instead of the 1 pound we asked for.

I mean, srsly? Is it that tough? I think it was a resounding argument for why that particular fish guy might want to Just Say No a bit more often, because those two glaring mistakes made on just one, simple order kind of scream "dying brain cells!!!" to me, dammit. (Leo thought that maybe he was responding to Leo's sarcasm in his response about the skin thing by fucking us over, but I told him he actually didn't sound sarcastic at all when he responded, and if that's what he was going for, then we need to work on it a bit more at home maybe. I think the guy was just an idiot. Pure and simple dumbassery at work.) Should Leo have checked the package before walking away from the fish counter? Yes...yes he should have. But I still lay the burden of blame on the guy who's JOB it is to give customers what they ask for. Without asking stupid questions as he does it. Jeezy effing chreezy...

8 comments:

m.v. said...

actually most of the time I buy a whole fish they weigh it 1st and then gut/clean it, because it's a service they provide not a way to make them pay for guts. they can just let you have the whole fish if you insist.

Faith said...

We were buying a fillet, not a whole fish. And I've never seen a whole fish that hadn't already been gutted and cleaned before being put in the cold case, personally. I don't shop at fish-specific markets, though. I'm sure that would be a rule I'd understand better if I did, but when I'm shopping at Hen House or Whole Foods, I pretty well expect that the fish are cleaned and all that prior to being put out.

Also, if he didn't want to pull the skin off of it for us, he could have said no. He didn't...he agreed to when asked. If he was supposed to weigh it with the skin on in order for the store to be compensated for pulling the skin off of a fillet of salmon, then he shouldn't have asked us the question, right?

m.v. said...

I agree, he shouldn't have asked the question.It's like buying steaks trimmed and untrimmed -the price is different taking into account that they cut stuff off.

Jill Pilgrim said...

Holy shit, that is massively stupid.

Kelley said...

I'm sure he guesstimated how much 1lb would be... if he cut off the .24lbs; what would he have done with it? Know what I mean?

(Not trying to be an ass here, literally trying to figure out how I would have cut the salmon.)

Faith said...

I don't care what they do with the scraps that people don't want. We wanted 1 pound of salmon that came from that particular fillet, because it was the nicest looking one in the case. As far as I'm concerned, it was his job to listen to what we, the customers, were asking for (1 pound of salmon, with the skin removed, from a fillet that we literally pointed at and said we wanted), remove the skin, plop it on the scale to figure out how much he was starting with, and then cut it down accordingly. It was obvious that the fillet we chose was bigger than 1 pound, but as far a the additional quarter pound went and what was done with it after that, not my concern, ya know?

I'm an asshole, though, so maybe that's just me. ;)

Kelley said...

All so very true - customer is always right...or so they say?!

But on the other hand... mmmm salmon. I live in SE Alaska - just had a piece of fresh white king salmon the other day... grilled it with butter, liquid smoke and brown sugar. Dude.

Faith said...

Kelley, that's not fair. No flaunting the fresh options to people in the midwest. It's a RULE, yo. :P

(That sounds soooo good! Our lomi lomi turned out pretty yummy, but both Leo and I agreed that had we had access to actual fresh wild salmon, it would have been 10 times better!)