Thursday, August 06, 2009

Our very own Torrens Bell

Long ago (almost 2 years!) when Leo and I got married, we received a lovely gift from the parents of one of his friends he knows from college. Unfortunately, they were unable to make it to the wedding...probably because he didn't think to invite them. But they sent us the gift anyway, leaving us a lasting reminder of the guilt that Leo should forever feel in his heart.

The gift was a bell made specifically for us, with our initials and the date of our wedding inscribed on it. It. Is. Awesome. Here's Leo (looking decidedly gay in his excitement to show it off) and I after we finally hung the bell on our new fence recently:

Ok, Leo looking less gay, but me looking goofy...
Better that we just step outta the picture, me thinks! Here's the bell:

It was an incredibly thoughtful and beautiful gift. And it makes a really wonderful sound when it is struck...this deep, sustained "gong" kind of noise that is very peaceful in it's tone. Leo's friend is also a sculptor, and he made us a fountain that I hope to get some pictures of soon, but we honestly haven't found a good spot to put it in yet. One of the cool things about Mr. Torrens's pieces is that he likes to use recycled materials and found objects to create them. Here's a link to his website, should you be interested in checking his stuff out.

Probably gonna be some more show and tell tomorrow around these here parts, just to warn ya. My brain is still on vacation, so it's best that I stick to simple posts for the time being. If you're lucky, I'll tell you the latest happenings with the blue ball! :)

5 comments:

Ms. Pants said...

Oooh! When I worked at Nature Company, we sold Tom Torrens stuff. A lot of the bells are made from recycled oxygen tanks. I recognised the artist right off. Kinda funny what sticks, eh?

Jill Pilgrim said...

Oh my God- look at how cute you are!

Faith said...

That's so neat that you recognize it, Ms. Pants! Yeah, J.W. (a.k.a. James Torrens) was one of Leo's groomsmen. It was the first time I met him, and he's an awesome dude. I really wish we'd invited his parents to the wedding!

Jillian, you're so kind. :D

Ms. Pants said...

I also agree that you are incredibly effin cute in those photos (as is Leo but I'm trying not to be creepy-girl in recognising your husband's cuteness).

In the store, there were two kinds of Torrens people. Those that thought it was ridiculous to pay $whatever for his stuff, and those who Must! Have! Every! Piece!!

Obvs, the latter were far more fun to deal with.

Alisha said...

It looks so good hanging there!