Monday, September 21, 2009

Opinions, please...

Leo and I are leaving for vacation on Friday, and I don't know what to do about the drive to the airport/parking situation. Economy parking adds a good 30 minutes onto the trip, and our flight leaves at 6 o'clock in the fucking morning. So we'd essentially need to leave our house by about 4 a.m. to ensure our on-time arrival at the airport for our flight. (We live about 30 minutes away.)

I started thinking that maybe we could just stay at the Marriott up there by the airport the night before, get "free" parking while we're gone, and be that much closer to the airport in the morning, so we wouldn't have to get up until maybe 4:30-ish instead of 3 a.m. that morning.

But it costs about $130 (without taxes and stuff, so more than that, really...) to stay the night there, and I don't know if that's worth it to save myself the extra hour and a half of sleep, and hassle of parking in the econ lot, you know?

Fuck, I could park in the terminal lot for only $90 total, and that'd be cheaper than the hotel night, and I wouldn't have to deal with the shuttle crap.

Hm. What would you guys do if you were me? (And believe me, I tried to find a later flight than the 6 a.m., but it literally added on another $100 per person to take one at around 10, or whatever. Not worth it.)

UPDATE: I should have been more clear in my question, I realize now that some of you are giving me your opinions...I have 3 options: Drive to the airport the day of, and park in a terminal lot for $18 per day; drive to the airport the day of, deal with the shuttle sitch out of the econ lots, and pay $5.50 per day; or stay at the Marriott the night before, wake up an hour and a half later than we would if we had stayed home, and park for "free" which really means for the cost of one night's stay which is probably abouty $150 total.

I'm leaning toward the terminal lot option right now...not for sure, though...

11 comments:

m.v. said...

maybe you can find a cheaper place?
http://kansascity.parksleepfly.com/

Faith said...

Oh, yeah...there are cheaper places up there that do the same thing, but I want to get a good night's sleep. Marriott is the place to do that. If not the Marriott, then home. I'm not doing a Sleep Inn, or the Courtyard that has reviews that says the hallways smell like vomit. Nuh-uh.

"The D" said...

Don't you have friends that would take you to the airport?

Taxi?

There is also a shuttle that will pick you up at home.

Faith said...

(I gave the options I'm willing to consider in the post. Why are people trying to come up with other options???)

I don't have any friends that I would ask to get up at 4 in the morning to take me to the airport so we can save $28, no. (That's the cheapest the parking gets...in the econ lot.) Fuck, I don't even ask FAMILY for a favor like that!

It's 25 miles to the airport...a cab would cost more than the hotel or the terminal lots.

And shuttles are iffy. Especially that early in the morning. I'm already stressed about the trip...if I were leaving the drive there in the hands of some stranger who could care less about whether I get there in a decent amount of time before my flight or not, I'd be a basketcase.

Layla said...

Personally, I'd do the terminal parking... screw the extra 30 minutes and shuttle crap and then sleep more on the plane... Cheaper than the hotel, you'll be at home for any last minute crap you think of (there's ALWAYS last minute crap) and less hassle when you come back cause you know after the long flight home (which will undoubtedly suck), the last thing you'll want to deal with is the shuttle to econo parking ;)

faithstwin said...

Terminal. 100%.

Erin said...

If you're paying $18/day for the terminal parking, doesn't that negate any savings for the early a.m. flight?

Call a cab company before you make assumptions, my sister has used a car service several times to get to Waldo from KCI.

Faith said...

Erin, nope. We'll be gone for 5 days, so it should come to $90. That's $60 more than it'd be in the econ lot. The later flight would have been another $200 for the both of us. (Additional $100 per person.) And we still would have had to pay for parking in that scenario, but the econ lot wouldn't be as unattractive at 8 a.m. as it is at 4:30 a.m., is all.

I'm not relying on/taking a cab from Overland Park to the airport, and then back again. Sorry...no.

Erin said...

Yeah, I tried to find the name of the service online but failed - it's really a car service/cab combo (makes sense in the KC market). Her company requires that she uses a car service to/from airports, so it has limo in the name. That was all I could remember. If you want me to get the info from her, email me.

Good luck sorting the details out. It's funny that no matter how often you (ok, I mean *I*) travel, it's always stressful - not to mention under these circumstances.

Thinking of you.

Faith said...

If I didn't take travel so fucking seriously, it wouldn't be so stressful, would it? But I think it was the counter check-in lady that made me cry a few years back when I had missed my flight that was taking me to my grandpa's funeral (which I told her...and she gave me a cold glare in return) that pushed it all over the edge. I hate missing a flight. I hate causing the airline trouble in any way. So if I can't be there at least an hour before my plane takes off, and if I get there any closer to the time due to someone else's driving skills? I can't really imagine the reaction I would have in the state I'm in most of the time. Fuck, you shoulda seen me after I left Tanner's the other day when I missed my first USC game in, like, 4 years! (Ok, I missed the one on my wedding day, and they LOST. I missed the one this past Saturday, and again, they LOST!!! I'm sensing a pattern, and I don't like it!)

Anywho...thanks again for the tips and suggestions, you guys. I really do appreciate all of you, even if I have a funny (i.e. fucked up) way of showing it.

mike said...

Take the economy lot off your list, the buses don't start until 5:30am and you should be getting on the plane then. The Parking Spot is pretty good. You might have a coupon laying around even.