Monday, October 19, 2009

We kinda hate our vet.

Puppies are awesome.

But they're also a pain in the ass.

The awesomeness usually wins out, though. At least in our home, it does.

Jake has been dealing with a small bump on his tail for the last few weeks now. It started out as a barely noticeable (to him) hard knot-type of thing, and then it started getting annoying to him, and made it so we can't brush his tail, and so we took him to the vet to make sure it's not cancerous or dangerous in any other way. $100 later, they said to just watch it over the next month, and it should get smaller.

Great. Thanks.

It didn't really get smaller until Jake started getting really bothered by it, and started nibbling at it all the time. So now it's definitely smaller, but we couldn't tell if it was because he'd chewed half of it off, or if it was actually getting better. Doesn't matter...it's an open wound now, thanks to all his nibbling. So Leo took him in to the vet today for a follow-up. They gave him a cortisone shot, and this lovely present...
Awww! My poor little dude! Leo is having a ball watching Jake run around the back yard trying to navigate things with the addition of the cone. I guess getting under the deck was right out. But he's able to move around the yard without tripping and hurting himself, which is good.

Hopefully, the little bump on his tail will heal quickly. I feel so bad for him! He's such a chipper little guy, I hate for shit like that damned bump to get in the way of him enjoying life.

8 comments:

Nuke said...

Just in time for Halloween, it's radar pup! As much as I like to giggle about animals in their little cones, I DO hope he gets better. Nobody likes a pain in the ass.

Midtown Miscreant said...

If it's not too far I can't praise Doctor Wingert enough. he saved max life. 6 visits, tons of labs and meds, 200 bucks.
300 S Noland Rd
Independence, MO 64050
Phone: (816) 254-4282

JOCOeveryman said...

Don't worry. Obama's plan will include pets as well and then you won't have to pay for it, your kids and grandkids will!

Faith said...

Oh, well, that won't work for us then, JOCO. Since we don't have, nor do we want children. Obama can suck my big left toe on that one!

MM, I think that might be too far, but I'll suggest it to Leo. He's the one that manages the vet visits, since he has Mondays and Tuesdays off. It's always nice to have a referal to work with, so thank you!

Nuke, I know! Last night, I kept going to him on the bed and trying to sooth him and keep him from licking at it. And he'd just look at me all pitiful-like, and roll onto his back so I could rub his tummy. (Because a tummy rub makes everything better, of course!)

Layla said...

If you're looking for vet referral (which, who knows, maybe you're not but I'm giving one anyway;) Rainbow Pets is awesome... Barry & Dale have used them for their umpteen million cats, we use them, my mom, etc... thorough and incredibly caring...

Overeem, Noreen, DVM - Rainbow Pet Hospital
4468 Rainbow Blvd
Kansas City, KS 66103
(913) 831-2034

Faith said...

Ahhh...we gave up on Rainbow a while ago. We used to board Izzy there a long time ago, and became disillusioned with the place and their lack of enthusiasm to do anything other than collect extra money from us however they were able to do so.

But thank you! I really appreciate all the suggestions. We've actually got our eye on another vet closer to home, at 83rd and Mission, if we do wind up switching.

faithstwin said...

Aww! Those cones caused Puppy and Phoebe endless issues- running into walls, not able to access their food, hard to drink water...

Hmmm, I wonder what that thing is on his tail? I hope it goes away soon.

Faith said...

He has skin issues in general, so I'm guessing the thing on his tail is just a random growth. Because his skin sucks.

I told Leo to make sure to watch him, and give him ample opportunities to get plenty of water. He looks so pitiful in that cone!