Monday, December 28, 2009

FLOR stands for "F^ckin' LOVE Our Rug!"

Over the past couple of years, we've been struggling with what to do with our living room floors...actually, the floors throughout the house, to be honest. I love hardwood, but I also like to change things up every now and then, if you hadn't noticed. :P So the original rug that I've had in our living room since I bought the house back in 2003 had gotten a wee bit old for me. At one point, I wanted to install carpeting, but leave a border of wood floor around it, after I'd seen a picture of something similar in a magazine. But that's expensive, and I'd have to tear out a whole lot of original flooring to do it, and a part of me dies when I think about tearing out those original floors for aesthetic reasons!

So we've been looking at new area rugs for a while, watching for good sales, and trying to figure out what we wanted to buy. For the record, this is what our original rug looked like in the space...


It was a 5' x 8' rug that I got on sale from Pottery Barn. That's the only way I buy big items like that from them...from their sale section. It just doesn't make sense to buy things from them for full price, if you ask me. The sales are totally worth waiting for.

Anywho, the rug was a good one...it masked doggy accidents rather well, and looked good with most of the changes we made in the living room over the years. But it was accented with brown and green, and now that we've painted the blue and gray in the room, it definitely was time for it to go.

I've known about FLOR tiles for a while now, and knew they might be an economic option for what it was we were trying to achieve in that room. I went to their website a few weeks ago after we measured the space we wanted to cover with rug (it was about 19' x 13'), and entered the measurements into their little tile calculating tool, and looked up different variations on designs that we might like to have, and then I ordered samples of the tiles that I liked the looks of, and that definitely helped us make our decision on the colors and types of tiles we wanted to get. So I'd recommend not skipping that step if you ever order some FLOR tiles yourself.

We went with the Easy As Pie pattern, which costs $6.99 per tile...one of their lowest priced tiles, which suited me fine! We purchased them in the seafoam and earthen colors, and mixed the colors in a striped pattern. Each square has a striped pattern on them, and we alternated the stripes in the seafoam rows, and then kept the stripes going the same direction in the earthen row, which you can kind of see in the photo below.
It took us about 3 hours to lay the rug out, and then place the FLOR dots under the corners, to adhere the whole thing together. But overall, it was super easy, it looks great, and we're very happy! This was what it looked like when it was done, without the room loaded back in...
And here it is with all the furniture back in the room with it. Ignore the clashing of the Christmas decor...I might have to change that out in the future, since it doesn't look so good with our blue/gray theme we have going on now.

The great thing about this kind of rug is that we can change out the tiles for a very low cost if any of them become damaged beyond repair. It's a super-low pile, though, so keeping it clean should be pretty easy. I wish I was one of those bloggers that received a discount or free stuff for endorsing shit on her blog, but I'm not, so know that I'm gushing about FLOR just because we love it so much. If you're looking for a change in any room in your house, you might just wanna give it a go!

2 comments:

GB, RN said...

Nice! I've been thinking about somtething like this for the downstairs. Thanks for the link!!

"The D" said...

You need a big picture of a naked lady above that couch.