Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Error! Malfunction! Oof...

So, last night, I'm gettin' ready for bed, and everything was going along fine. It was earlier than 10 p.m., I was being good and washed my face with soap and water (instead of going the lazy route and using a pre-moistened towlette thinger from Target), I had brushed my teeth, and I remembered I needed to remove my nail polish I'd put on over the weekend. So I was reaching to open the cabinet that has the nail polish remover in it, at the same time that I was closing my medicine cabinet above my sink (I'm a multitasker at all hours, mind ya), when the door to the medicine cabinet just sort of...snapped!...and FELL OFF the hinges. It's hard to describe, so I went ahead and took the time to draw out a frame by frame depiction as I remember it...

All was going well...reaching for the cabinet door as I closed the medicine cabinet...

::snap, crack!!:: Suddenly, I'm holding my medicine cabinet door, thinking, "Dude...WTF?"
I dunno what happened! Maybe the medicine cabinet door is too heavy for the hinges? Maybe I open it too often? How often is too often to open your medicine cabinet? Maybe this is one of the reasons why, even though they look almost exactly like the medicine cabinets I covet from Pottery Barn, they cost half the price of those medicine cabinets? Maybe THIS is why they cost so much less??? GAAAAHHHHH.

Anywho, I've called the cabinet company that made the cabinets for us back when we had the bathroom built, and they're gonna have my salesguy call me when he's available. The lady on the phone agreed that it's quite odd that the door just...fell off like that. I'm glad it doesn't sound like this happens very often, since they built our whole bathroom vanity, as well as the pantry and fridge cabinet in the kitchen. It all seems really solid...::sobbs::

10 comments:

m.v. said...

you can't have too many diagrams,I now feel like I was there myself;eyewitness news at its best.

Ms. Pants said...

Your medicine cabinet is startlingly organized.

Faith said...

Hahaha! You think THAT'S oganized, lemme show you my undie and sock drawers sometime. :O

Old Fart said...

Those are AWESOME diagrams! Feel like I was a peeping tom outside the bathroom window. But, I never realized just how long your neck really is!

Alisha said...

OMG, I love those drawings!

Faith said...

More people should add hand-drawn illustrations to their blog posts, I've realized. All y'all need to get on that, please. :D

faithstwin said...

That's weird... did the hinge snap? I mean- is there still part of the hinge attached to both the wall part and the door or did the screws or whatever holding the hinge snap out? I could totally see you saying, "Dude...WTF?" Your drawings are hilarious. Did you draw them then scan them or something?

I have a dang GFI plug inside my kitchen that is somehow affected by the rain on my outside wall (the plug in my back yard) and since the rain has been blowing up against the side of the wall it keeps blowing the GFI. I have 4 plugs that won't work because of the stupid thing. Thank goodness the only appliance needing to use a plug is the toaster so we had to use an extension cord this morning.

It totally sucks!

Faith said...

I'll take actual pictures of the damage tonight...I just didn't have time last night and this morning to do it. But yeah...the hinge is still attached to the medicine cabinet box on the wall. The part that snapped off was the frame around the mirror. It appears to have been attached around the mirror by a tab A into slot B format, along with some prayer and magic. No glue...no nails...just - nothing. Very. Odd.

I drew the pictures during some down time this morning, and then scanned them, yes. They were in color, but I forgot about that until after I'd posted them, dammit.

And that outlet issue sounds like a bad one, dude! You might wanna call an electrician about that before your house lights on fire.

statia said...

You have an unusually long neck. Are you a giraffe, perchance?

statia said...

Also? Have done diagrams, if you remember:

http://www.failuretonap.com/?p=3105