Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Updated kitchen pics, anyone?

Last I posted about the kitchen remodel, we had just started with the 1st coat of stain, and were trying to pick a new paint color for the walls. (Post is here.) I also did a teensy update when the countertops went in. (That post is here.) We've moved on from there, with the final coats of stain on the cabinets, new lighting installed, and floors installed as of yesterday.

Here's what the cabinets look like in their final coat of stain. I think they look pretty nice, but I still would advise against using birch for a project like this. Too much inadvertent striping is involved.
In this photo below, you can see the pantry that was installed and stained back when we did the addition on the house a year and a half ago. I think we used oak or maple for those cabinets. I can't remember. The lighting isn't helpful in this photo, because it makes them look like a bad match, but they actually look pretty good all together in real life.
After they were finished with staining the cabinets, it was time to replace the countertop and sink.
I loooooove it. Seriously, it's hard to describe just how awesome the sink is. It's really deep, and I love the black, and the fact that it's compsite granite means it really durable, and happy, happy, happy!

When they were done there, it was time to cover everything up, and start the ceiling. They drilled holes for the lighting, and put them in a really weird spot in the room, IMO. Two of them were fine...they're over by the oven and the sink, and look great. But the other two were on either side of where we're going to put our fan, which is a 52" number. So if we left them there, and had the fan on, it would create a strobe effect in the room. Nuh-uh. Not cool.
You can see what I'm talking about better in this photo. It was really hard to get good pictures of the lights due to the angles of the doorways in the room.Anyway, I felt super-bad about asking for them to be moved, but the contractor said it was no big deal. He drilled new holes exactly where I was picturing them to be in the first place, and now the lighting is perfect! We're just waiting on our pendant light we ordered for over the sink to be delivered this week, and we'll be good to go. (We were going to hang them ourselves, but the assistant to our contractor wound up asking if he could have our old oven when he found out we were planning on buying a new one after all. So in exchange for that, he's hanging the pendant and the ceiling fan for us now. Yay!) (I think he got a pretty good deal there, personally, but I was glad we could help him by giving him the oven...it was ugly, but it still worked just fine.)

This is the world of plastic that we've been living in for the past week...
It been very hard to prepare foods in that kitchen, lemme tell ya!
Then we had the floors installed yesterday! There was hardwood under half of the kitchen, which was weird, but apparently it was the old dining room in the house. Huh.
And here's the new floor! We love it!
As do the dogs!
Ok, Leo's coming to meet me for lunch, so that's all I have time for right now. Can't wait to update more as we get the backsplash in...it's happening today, apparently. Even though they aren't quite done with the ceiling. Whatever...I'm just happy with progress, dammit. :D

7 comments:

Average Jane said...

Very nice!

faithstwin said...

It all looks so good! But a 52" fan? WHY!? Those blades seem unusually large for the room, IMO. For the girls rooms we got something like 22" or 24" blades. I need help with this number you gave- what is the 52" referencing? That would be a fan I would put into the master bedroom in the SJC house...

I'm gonna scan the pic of Dad in a minute as well as something else I found that is a tear jerker so I will send it in a seperate email with an appropriate warning so you won't go opening it at work or anything...

Faith said...

I dunno, 52" is the standard size for ceiling fans. They have bigger ones or smaller ones available, of course, for unusual sized rooms, but 52" was the majority of the sizing on the shelf at the 'Po. I'd guess that each blade must be about 18" long, plus the metal hinge that holds it to the center unit which is probably another 3 or 4 inches, and then the center bit that holds it all together is probably about 5 inches. So it all just is 52" wide. ::shrugs:: It's the size I've always had in there. And it needs it...we don't have outside exhaust in tha kitchen, remember? Need a BIG FAN to take care of the kind of cooking we do! Whoowee! :P

faithstwin said...

OOHHHH!!! See? That was what I was looking for- were you talking length of blades or circumfrence of entire fixture?

I'm goofy like that.

statia said...

I had no idea that they even MADE composite granite for sinks. How is it compared to like, stainless? I mean, stainless scuffs and scratches, but it's still durable for a sink. I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE my sink right now (white porcelain, I think, I have no idea), and we've been kicking around what we'd put in, if we redid the kitchen.

Faith said...

We first saw them at Home Depot, and really liked the look of them, since we have black appliances in our kitchen. Then when we went to buy our countertop, the guy had one in a box that we were able to see and touch and he told us he'd had one in his kitchen for 2 years and he LOVED it. Very durable, and scratches are non-existent, in his experience. The one we purchased cost $300, I think? But at Home Depot, they had a variety of them for a range of prices, down to abuot $200, if I'm remembering correctly.

Stephanie said...

*sigh* That sink is amazing!