Thursday, May 20, 2010

Summertime...gonna need some book suggestions, please!

Last night, the full reality of The End of the Season for most of our favorite TV shows seemed to suddenly smack Leo in the face.

"What are we gonna watch now?" ::sad panda face::

"How about if we read instead?" I said. "I've got a ton of book suggestions I would love to get into!"

"You mean, just sit here and read? Sit here on the couch and read together?"

"Uh-huh. Just sit here and read. Like the good ol' days."

He didn't respond. Hm. He must not have as extensive of a list of books as I have staring him in the face!

Here are the suggestions I want to tackle, per friend recommendations:

- The Year of Living Biblically, by A.J. Jacobs (I read his "Know It All" book last year, and really liked it. Highly suggest.)
- Mind Over Mood - Changing How You Feel by Changing How You Think, by Dennis Greenberger & Christine A Padesky (Sometimes, a little self-help is necessary. And a nice change of pace.)
- Still Alice, by Lisa Genova (This is about a Harvard professor dealing with the early onset of Alzheimer's. Supposed to be a very good book.)
- The Book of Negroes, by Lawrence Hill (I think I might actually try to get my hands on this one before the others. Sounds fascinating. Sad, but fascinating!)

Any other suggestions are welcome! Please let me know what you've been reading...(Twin, I already forgot the one you mentioned, and I lost my search in Amazon. Remind me in the comments, dammit!)

10 comments:

Erin said...

Reading Little Bee right now & loving it.

Also LOVED:
The Help
Water for Elephants
Beneath a Marble Sky

Faith said...

LOVED both The Help and Water for Elephants, too!

Haven't read Beneath a Marble Sky. Thanks for the tip!

Average Jane said...

I'm enjoying the Hunger Games series (although it's frustrating that the third book doesn't come out until August). It's classified as young adult, but don't let that scare you off.

faithstwin said...

The one I suggested is:

Velva Jean Learns To Drive by Jennifer Niven.

I just finished a 'young adult' series as well- I read all 4 books in less than two weeks...

The 'Luxe' series by Anna Godbersen
(Luxe, Rumors, Envy and Splendor) - They actually go into pretty intense detail of caste system living in the late 1800/early 1900 time frame- with my fav: ROMANCE at the center of it allll!

I am planning on working on at least ONE biography this summer...

I appreciate the suggestions as well- I am currently reading Jane Eyre for the second or third time and am finding it so much EASIER to understand than Wuthering Heights. I don't know if I ever read WH before, but it was SOOO HARD to understand. I guess I am better at the Charlotte vibe than the Emily vibe- god only knows where I will go with the Anne vibe. (I have a book that has all three books inside one cover...)

Water For Elephants is next on my list as Robert Pattinson is in the movie version and I need to bone up on that read... =D

Faith said...

They're maing a movie version of it? Awesome!

faithstwin said...

Yeah- it's filming in and around CA, from what I have heard. Reese Witherspoon is the other lead.

Catherine VandeVelde said...

I would like to know what you think of "Mind over Mood." I could probably benefit from something like that.

I just finished 'The Story of Edgar Sawtelle' and really liked it.

Other summer book suggestions: Child of My Heart (Alice McDermott) and The Bean Trees (Barbara Kingsolver).

Catherine VandeVelde said...

"Little Bee" kinda freaked me out. Interesting story; I kept talking to the characters, saying,"Geez, what are you thinking!?!?!"

Faith said...

Hm. Yeah, I can see that.

We started watching Carnivale last night (old series from HBO, or something), and it reminded me of Water for Elephants, and I started thinking about how cool it'd be to see that book in movie form! I'm stoked about this. :D

AJ, I'm going to have to look that series up. I think a surprising number of adults enjoy what's classified as young adult lit, so not scary at all to me! Thanks for the tip!

faithstwin said...

I also forgot one of the other books I recently enjoyed: A Reliable Wife.

It's on a bestsellers list. It deserves to be- it's a really good read! (My library has grown ridiculously in the past few months since my judge shows are just not interesting anymore.) =/