Friday, May 07, 2010

The temptation...it is difficult to ignore.

This morning on the way home from the gym (after working out on my own because my trainer called in sick, which I didn't find out about until I got there...grrr), I was having a problem avoiding birds, specifically robin red-breasts, that were just standing in the middle of the road. I came across at least half a dozen of them at different points...a couple of them by the Quik Trip, and then another one a little further down the road, and then a couple more on the streets closer to my house. WTF? Do they have a death wish? Because I really, really don't like birds, yo. I will totally hit those motherfuckers if they so desire it.

The thing is, I hate birds...but I have a weird affinity for the robin red-breasts. I blame The Secret Garden, because pretty much ever since I was a kid and read that book, they've always brought a smile to my face when I see them.

But why were they standing in the road? What is that about? I've had this issue before with squirrels, but it made more sense when it came to squirrels. They walk everywhere. Birds FLY. So, roads don't really need to be a problem for them!

I dunno...do you guys ever wonder if the animal kingdom really do behave like they're made out to be in Disney movies, and shit, and maybe these birds are just having a ball fucking with us humans? The ones that weren't sitting in the road were swooping dangerously close to the grill of my car, and it was really unnerving, dammit! Just thought I'd get the public take on this kind of silliness...

2 comments:

Catherine VandeVelde said...

I've yet to have the experience of coming across the same kind of animal over and over in a short period of time. Maybe it means something? Or maybe not. However, in our Marketing Dept we keep a book on animal symbolism (odd, I know) ... so I'll share this tidbit with you ...

"When we come across certain animals in our lives it can be an indication that they are put in our path to give us messages about what it is that we need to focus on in our personal healing at that moment in time.

Robin: growth, renewal, new change in life, rebirth of the spirit.

The robin represents the ability to nuture oneself into true adulthood -- we let go of the past and are thereby renewed, and free to nuture both ourselves and others better."

Faith said...

Huh. I hadn't thought about it from that angle at all! What a good idea. I wonder if that's the case...the universe is putting the robins in front of me so I'll focus on the growth and renewal in my life right now. :D

Either that, or the universe thinks is has enough robins, and knows I'm the right person to take the extras out. I could go either way. ;)