Monday, June 21, 2010

Guys, I'm just tired.

Started back with the trainer again this morning at the cockamamie hour of 5 a.m., so I'm just tired, dammit. (We're just working on legs and abs until the doc gives me the go ahead to lift again, and even then, I'm supposed to start with 5 pound increments which just seems silly to me. But I will do what the doctor says I should do, and I'll be happy with it I'm sure.) I did try to tell my trainer that the doctor also warned me that doing lunges of any kind would absolutely ruin my boob job. Just tear it all up inside. She didn't fall for that one, though. ::kicks dirt::

This week, I have a gyno appointment (annual check up), a dentist appointment (6 month cleaning/check up), an appointment for the BMW at the mechanic (a belt in there sounds really pissed off, so we're having it checked out), and then to top it all off, I get to drop Leo off at the airport on Friday for a trip to Chicago for a few days. I wish I could go, too! He's going to spend some time with his brothers and his friends, and enjoy himself. He deserves it, really. I can't spare the time from work right now, and also, the boobs need tending to. The one on the left might have some infection going on in one of the incisions...not sure yet. So I need to keep a close watch on that, and take care of the puppies, and hopefully have a peaceful (and likely boring, but I like boring so that's ok) weekend at home.

Last week, we tried a new restaurant in Overland Park called Intentions, thanks to a tip from Fat City. We were planning on heading out to the Sushi Train (a.k.a. Sakura) in Shawnee, but hearing about a place that was only a little over a mile from our house seemed like divine intervention, so we headed to Intentions instead. Let's just get this out of the way before going any further: Intentions is a stupid name for a restaurant. It sounds more like a bad soap opera on CBS, or a store that sells lingerie than a restaurant/bar/live music venue, if you ask me.

That said, I'm not sure what kind of judgement to pass on the place at this point. It's only been open for a couple of weeks, and it's in a quirky stretch of 80th Street that includes a bead shop (seriously? They still have those around?), 3 hair salons, a skate shop/psychic materials shop, as well as The Other Place, and a few empty storefronts for good measure. I'm inclined to give it another try before shutting the door on it all together. Leo was just...uncomfy in the place. That was my initial reaction to it, too, but I can't quite put my finger on the reason why. The sushi was ok, except they seem to want to put cucumber into everything they make. I caught on to that trend when I was reviewing the menu, and asked for our spicy tuna roll to be made without it, if possible, and they were happy to comply. The roll was a bit loose because of it, but it was still tasty, IMO. Otherwise, the nigiri was good, and decently priced. We got there in time for happy hour and were able to try out a couple of their happy hour maki (rolls) for 1/2 price, so that was nice.

Maybe it's the weird bar/nightclub-type thing they have at the one end of the place that made it feel weird...I dunno. The sushi guys apparently came up from Ra Sushi in Leawood, so no doubt they know what they're doing. But if they're trying to make the place similar to Ra in any way, decor-wise? They missed the mark. It's too fucking dark in there, and it's just the wrong place for something like that. Also, the furnishings were a bit too cheap to be able to pull off a Ra feel, unfortunately. Maybe that was it...the cheapish furnishings. Hrm. I just don't know, exactly.

The server was really nice, though! And the owner came over and gave us his card and checked to see if we enjoyed our visit when we were done, so that was a good sign, I thought. They have an extensive menu of really different sounding sushi options, as well as some pretty standard stuff like a teriyaki chicken sandwich that I might not mind trying sometime. (I love teriyaki chicken sandwiches, though! I'm weird like that...) We'll probably head back there again sometime in the next month. We'll see. In the mean time, I'd love for some other locals to head in there, and give their opinion of the place. So go! And make sure to post about it!

Alright...I need to go mentally prepare for my hoo-hah appointment this afternoon. ::squinty face:: Being a girl is fun.

4 comments:

Nuke said...

Huh, weird. I hate to say it but I think KC is close to saturation on sushi places.

I hope you do OK on this busy week, don't tear a suture or anything. I would totally offer to help with any boob related issues, except I cannot stand the thought of stitches and infections (yuck). then there is the whole personal privacy issue.

Anyway, happy freakin Monday.

Faith said...

I might've agreed with you if there had been a sushi/Japanese restaurant closer than 4 miles away from where I live. As it is, we don't even go to that one! (It's Sushi Gin at 95th and Nall...I've heard mixed reviews on the place, and haven't ever gone there as a result.)

Previously, we've either had to go all the way to 39th St for sushi from Friends, or out to Sakura on 75th at Nieman, if we want sushi. I've been hoping a place would open up in the Village in PV, but I dunno...old OP works as well, I suppose.

And I'm doing my best to keep the sutures/incisions sealed! I've been afraid to pick off the glue as it sheds (a lot of the incisions were just glued together, if you can believe it), because I didn't want to pick off a spot that wasn't ready to be picked yet, but I hit one all the same over the weekend. It stopped bleeding eventually, but MAN. It was mad at first!

Together We Save said...

5 a.m. workout?? No way! Not me!

Faith said...

5 a.m. workouts are the bomb! Only, like, 5 or 6 other people are at the gym at that hour, so you basically have the whole place to yourself. And it's cooler then, too. And once you're done, you have the whole day ahead of you to do whatever else you need to! Work, lie around, shop...:D