We're getting closer and closer to vacation time here in the Smith bloghold, and if you think I'm not counting down the minutes at this point, you would be wrong.
Leo and I are going out tonight to celebrate his birthday privately before we head out of town to join the Giant Family Reunion-Type Vacation in Havasu tomorrow. His birthday is on Sunday, but his birthday food request was oysters. They don't even have a seafood restaurant category on the Yelp page for Havasu, so I gave him the option of going out before we left, or after we got back. He chose before. (Really, this kept us from having to buy groceries for one night this week, so it kind of chose itself!) So we will be at McCormick & Schmick's for dinner tonight, and I'm not exactly unhappy about that. ;)
Ok, so...vacation. This is what I like to do when I head away from my desk for 4 days, with no standard responsibilities of home calling to me at any given time:
1. Drink more than usual. Of course, with heat like they have out in the desert, I'll be careful, but still...beers will be had. (They have a lot of water in them anyway, so I should be cool.) (I'm kidding, of course! I'll drink plenty of Diet Coke in between beers to maintain my hydration levels, ok?)
2. Relax on a beach. Or in the water. (Or in a bar.)
3. Not read emails. At all. Is there a way to turn off the notification function on my Blackberry? I don't even wanna see that those suckers are in there waiting for me.
4. Read plenty of my backlogged Glamour and Vogue magazines. Btw, Glamour has actually gotten good since I last read it about 10 years ago. I wound up with a subscription to it when Domino went under (::sob!::), and I was initially a little pissed off because Glamour used to be kinda trashy while at the same time a LOT liberal. It was nasty. But now it's all about women of all sizes, awesome clothing finds for reasonable prices, and fun articles about people OTHER THAN Gisele Bundchen. Yeah, there are some pages in there giving tips about how to pinch your guy's scrotum juuust right, but for the most part, it's like a party in my hands. I like it. Which makes me suspicious of me all over again. Seriously, have I been body snatched? ::scratching head::
5. Reconnecting with my family, of course. It's been 6 months since I've seen most of them, and I haven't seen my nieces and nephews since dad's funeral. I'm really looking forward to visiting with them, and seeing what's up in their little heads.
That's about it. What am I missing? What do you guys like to focus on when you head to a relatively low key place for vacation? (Think a cleaner Lake of the Ozarks, here...they don't have anything Smithsonian or Guggenheim-like in Havasu, yo.)