Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Bye bye, Sushi House in Leawood. ::sad face::

I'm on the mailing list for Sushi House in Leawood, KS, and received the notification that they're shutting down after this week. Apparently, they had been negotiating their lease with the property management at the mall, and it wasn't working out. So they're closing their doors.

I freaking LOVE that place. It's where I go when I want to splurge on lunch. It's where Leo and I go when we want to splurge on sushi dinner. I'm so sad they won't be there anymore! ::cries::

I sent a letter to their corporate office this morning suggesting that maybe they should just move instead of closing all together? Because I have been waiting for a decent sushi option to move closer to my house for years, and it would be awesome if I had something like Sushi House in The Village, or even over at Corinth at 83rd and Mission. I went to grab lunch there today, and talked to the host who was helping me with my order, and let him know that I made that suggestion in an email. He told me that I was, like, the 7th person to suggest that idea this week. He hopes that the email will help, somehow. I know it's a reach, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try!

But in the mean time, I'll just be eating there all freaking week, I guess. Gotta get my fill while I can!

It's so weird that negotiations on leases fall through at all these days. I mean, unless they were asking for something really unreasonable, why the hell would the landlord just be willing to let them walk away like this? My family owns and manages property in California and Nevada. We don't like losing long term leasers, so in this economy especially, if they come to us asking for help with their terms, we try to work with them on it. Because less money is still better than none at all, you know?

Oh well. Best wishes, Sushi House! You will be missed. :(

3 comments:

faithstwin said...

Sushi here sucks ass lately so I don't have much to say regarding your sushi saga... I really hate having to drive miles and miles for good food- and that includes sushi. Almost every other food I can make but sushi continues to elude me. I can't make it on my own. I even had a sushi rolling mat but sucked at it so badly I threw that away. Fortunately I pretty much only eat one kind of sushi and that is ahi tuna in the form of spicy tuna cut rolls. I can make my own spicy tuna whenever Trader Joe's has a good cut of ahi... sometimes I'll sear it a bit but mostly I'll just slice and dip in wasabi-laced soy sauce. Yum!

Elizabeth-Flourish in Progress said...

I feel your pain.

A. I hate it when a favorite restaurant closes down. A pizza place I absolutely adores closed their doors and I just went nuts. Fortunately, they were a chain and had another restaurant. Unfortunately, it was over an hour away. I still went! And it was delicious.

B. Good sushi is so hard to find...even in LA. And if it's good, why does it have to cost so much?

Stumbled on your blog today. Looking forward to reading more. =)

uzumasa said...

Kobe Japanese Steak & Seafood down on the Western edge of the P&L is now doing an all you can eat buffet from 11:00 to 2:00 for $10. I have to say I was wonderfully surprised by how good the sushi is. They do nigiri sushi, rolls and have a hot side to the buffet as well. Fortunately I can walk to and from there from work so I don't feel quite a guilty about stuffing my face!