Thursday, October 14, 2010

MINE! (a.k.a. Did you buy it? If not, then DON'T EAT IT!)

Someone totally stole a whole container of canteloupe chunks out of the fridge at work from me some time between 4:30 p.m. Tuesday and 9 a.m. Wednesday. I had eaten, like, 4 of them for a snack on Tuesday afternoon, put them back in the fridge, and then yesterday morning when I went to put my snack for that morning into the fridge, my container of canteloupe was gone!

I mean, who DOES that sort of thing, anyway???

I took the question to the Dooce Community board, and a lively discussion (and handy tips for future cases of stolen food) was had, so that helped a little.

Also, at about lunchtime, I found out I wasn't the only victim. Another coworker had a whole bag in the fridge with her lunch in it that she'd brought in on Tuesday, but planned to eat on Wednesday. When she went in there yesterday, she discovered that a cookie was missing.

Unbelieveable. So this food thief dug through people's stuff in the fridge looking for something that sounded good? C'MON! That's just icky.

I put up a note on the fridge, I guess because it made me feel empowered after being the victim of a food thief, or something, but nothing came of it. It basically said that the canteloupe cost me $4, and as I had eaten such a small amount of it, whoever took it owed me $3.50, in my estimation. It was gone this morning, but a coworker had left a response note on my desk saying, "Faith, I'm hungry! Please restock the fridge when you get the chance! :)" Hahahaha! Love it!

Has this ever happened in your office? WTF did you do about it, if anything?

11 comments:

m.v. said...

I never ever ever put anything in the company fridge even for 2 hours.Our 2 fridges contain some scary, possibly alive crap. Wouldn't even consider leaving anything overnight.

Faith said...

Hahaha! Well, they clean ours out on a bi-weekly basis. (Although that wasn't what happened with my canteloupe. Clean out day was on Monday this week, so I was in the clear to leave snacks in overnight.)

At my last office, I had to institute the clean-out myself. It was disgusting in there. I'm pretty sure a Smurf village was cohabitating with the leftovers by the time I kicked in and started putting my foot down, and threw everything out on Friday afternoons. I gave everyone fair warning! Also, I was nice, and I didn't throw out tupperware containers or anything. Just the food that was in them!

Ms. Pants said...

I bought a mini fridge. It holds a six pack of soda, max, if stored on its side. I keep everything in there. I have to get creative with containers because of size, but if I really want to eat something, it doesn't go into the work fridge.

Ms. Pants said...

Maybe get yourself a box of OB tampons. Leave one wrapped in every container of food you put in the fridge. I bet your stuff goes untouched.

faithstwin said...

Yes, this has happened in several places I have worked in. And I was one of the theives...unintentionally! But I made up for it by replacing the item I accidentally ate with 4 of the same dinners for her(the other person ate the same frozen dinners I did; I thought I had forgotten bringing one in when I saw it in the freezer, ate it and found out later I didn't bring it in and I had eaten someone else's lunch, apologized profusely but was never looked at with sane eyes by anyone again. I quit.)

Hopefully your note got the point across to whomever was being so idiotic.

Ms. Pants? Why OB?

Ms. Pants said...

I don't know. Cos they're smaller? I guess after I posted that, I thought about it. Why not just take a plastic applicator (sans cotton, as it may soak up juices) and leave it (unwrapped) in your containers? I know I don't even need to put the "clean" caveat, but....

Faith said...

Did any of you go and check out that link to the Dooce Community I put up? This was my favorite story:

Agent Scully said: "This is a fabulous story I heard about lunch food theft:

A woman approached her supervisor and told him that someone stole her lunch food and she needed to go home for the rest of the day. He thought it was super weird that someone would just leave work because their food was stolen, but since it wasn’t any of his business, he said “That’s fine. You may go home. I hope everything is OK.” The woman admitted that she was on heavy doses of lithium, which the doctor told her she could crush and sprinkle on her food since she had trouble swallowing the large pill. And since someone stole her food with the crushed lithium, she absolutely had to get home to get another dose! So she went home and an hour later the supervisor found an intern slumped over in his chair, drooling from his mouth, with his eyes rolled back in his head. He ended up calling 911 and the internet went to the hospital (where he was fired later that day for theft.)"

faithstwin said...

There ya go! Make some ex lax brownies and put a couple in the fridge. While you won't be able to monitor the bathroom and all you at least get the satisfaction of knowing you gave someone some trouble for their acts. =P

Jane said...

A male co-worker used some milk in our office frig, not realizing that it was pumped breast milk. Pretty funny when he found out! (Yes, he owned up to it.)

LOVE the tampon idea!

Fred Sanford said...

We used to have the problem here at work - salads, sandwhiches, soda, all seemingly fair game. I solved it (so far) by dosing several "bait" lunches with Ipecac, either mixed in with ranch dressing and barbque sauce or dipping sauce. lost one last lunch a few months ago and not had a problem since.

Steve said...

What I would suggest is buying one of those lunch coolers, nailing it down next to ones desk, and watching out for anyone who wants to "share" your lunch with themselves.