Friday, January 21, 2011

It's a VLOG. Yes, it's Leo and Faith in person. (Sort of.)

So my friend Stefi brought up this new thing that's apparently making it's rounds on the interwebs as of late...people sharing their patterns of speech, or dialect with everyone. So we here at the Smith household joined in for fun. I thought I would share. :)

Ok, so here's Leo and I discussing the list of words, and the questions that can be specific to certain geographical areas of the country and/or North America as a whole. (The specifics are posted below, in case anyone wants them, and wants to do this vlog thing themselves.) Leo was raised in South Bend, IN, (you know, if you couldn't already tell that from the GIANT Notre Dame shield he's wearing on his chest) and when I met him he had this bizarre combo accent of Chicago and Detroit living inside him. He's since mellowed out.

I'm from California, but have lived in Kansas for 11 years. 12 years, total, actually. I also have lived in France, Malibu, Boston, worked in Chicago, and have had LOTS of Canadian friends. I'm one of those people that tends to adopt the sounds of the speech of people she comes in contact with. I have a rip-roaringly good English, French, Canadian and northern mid-American accent. I also say "y'all" with random frequency.

Basically, my dialect can be kinda muttish from time to time. But this video doesn't show that off all that much. I think Leo and I are kinda boring in it, to be honest.

So, enjoy!

(Also, a couple of quick editor notes: my hair on the left side when you're looking at me? Those are bangs that are growing out. No, they are NOT supposed to stick out like that. But they just do, ok? I'm working on it by growing them out...which takes a lot of time. Also, my twitch on the left side of my face apparently makes the right side of my face more prominent in speech. I'm doing the mouth "dip" thing on the right throughout this video, because I'm totally unaware that it's happening. The Twin is FAMOUS for making this kind of facial expression when she's putting in an order for food in a restaurant, or doing something like that. I didn't know that it had spread to me. So, there ya have it. I caught the Twin's weird half-face dip thing that happens when I talk. Fab. :P Hopefully, it's as endearing to you as it has been to me in the past with the Twin.)



So here's the list of words we read off, and the questions that followed:

Aunt, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, Toilet, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting image, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Syrup, Pajamas, Caught

◦What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
◦What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?
◦What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
◦What do you call gym shoes?
◦What do you say to address a group of people?
What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
◦What do you call your grandparents?
◦What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
◦What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
◦What is the thing you change the TV channel with?

So after watching ourselves on the video (which we obviously did, because we had to make sure we looked cool), I quickly realized how people say "oil" differently...in the south, they tend to say "aaalll" more that the straight "oyl" version we northerners have a tendency towards.

But I still don't get the whole "spitting image" one. WTF?

7 comments:

faithstwin said...

I soooo want to do this with our older sisters! I can't wait. Then you have to post the video. BUT you won't see *us*... the camera will be aimed at a bottle of wine the whole time. It will be full.

of water.

I could totally see the different ways people will say things. Did you miss how you said 'coopon' while Leo said 'cewpon'? You seemesd to skip right past it.

That was fun! All in all, you need to do more of these things, please. And of course people say 'oohhllll' instead of 'oyl' when saying oil. Because we allll mimic Paula Dean now!

Donna said...

Hillbillies say "far" for fire.

Donna said...

"Spittin' image, I imagine.

sdchickrawker said...

that was really cool. nice to hear your voices. totally miss you guys!

p.s. i address a group of people as all y'all.

p.p.s. speaking of new orleans, i am going in march. you and leo should meet me there!

Ms. Pants said...

I can't watch the vid at work but will from home. I don't get the rain/sunshine thing. Is that a specific thing, other than "raining when it's sunny?" Wtf?!

Spitting image is probably "spittinimage" all one word. I don't know many people who actually use the G.

I wonder how fucked up mine would be if I did this. I grew up in California but took on a lot of Northern England speech affectations in my 20s from my "No accent, no interest" days. And then I moved to the south. And frequently go to New York. And glom off my friends' dialects as well. I probably come off sounding mildly psychotic.

Faith said...

I prefer to think that we sound interesting, Ms. Pants. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it! :D

When I came back from France, after living in a country where I was required to speak French (it was a school thing), and lived/went to school with a bunch of kids that had just come off the London-for-a-year program, and THEY all had funny accents...I was a mess. I sounded so fucking weird for about 6 months when I came back, and I'm pretty sure I drove everyone nuts around me.

faithstwin said...

Yes, 'tis true. Faith's oddness drove me to such behavior that is unexplainable. I continued to stay with a boyfriend who was such a sweetie but quite the knobhead, to be honest. In addition, her 'odd speech' made me them move on to my ex husband who was also quite affected by her ways making him think he wanted to be a doctor when I met him. Then a lawyer. Only to have him ASPIRE to being a guy who could open a snake restaurant! Eventually, the way she said words made him go so crazy that he worked for a beverage distribution unit and turned to alcohol soon after he turned 18*. He went to jail after being in the same car as a guy who stole 20 leather coats from Banana Republic and because of Faith he was lost in the system** and ended up being shipped off to prison hooked at the heel to a large black murderer with the nickname 'Star Light'***. This fact and name cracks my children up to no end. That is Faiths fault as well.

*I met my ex when I was 18 and he was 20...THAT is how good (bad) she was.

**He really was lost in the system and got shipped off. He spent two days trying to tell anyone who would listen that he 'didn't belong there' and one day a lawyer actually looked at him and agreed- he did NOT belong there. I believe this is when Faith's accent and oddities started to shift.

***Seriously- I can't make this shit up. The guys name was Starlight. He was big, black and a murderer according to my ex. At the time he told this story to me, I know he wasn't lying.

Heh. Starlight. =D