Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A not so quick review: Louis C.K.'s "Hilarious"

Leo and I are Louis C.K. fans. We saw him on The Daily Show as a guest sometime last year when he was promoting his show "Louie" on FX, and thought he was funny and liked the clips they showed, so we started watching when it began airing.

In his weird way, the guy makes us laugh harder than seems natural at things that should be uncomfortable and definitely cross many lines and boundaries a lot of the time. It's awesome. :D

So Leo went ahead and put "Hilarious" in our Netflix que sometime recently, and we got it yesterday. YAY!

Dudes. We have never. laughed. that hard as long as we've known each other.

I have laughed that hard once or twice before in my life, and I remember the occassions specifically. One time, it was because my oldest sister made me laugh so hard when we were out at dinner, I had to lie down to try to stop. It was one of those moments where I kept thinking back to what it was that made me laugh in the first place, and it was like an evil cycle of funny that would. not. stop. We were at a Japanese restaurant, and I remember the waitresses being very concerned about me not being able to stop laughing. Which, of course, was even funnier to me. It took a good 5 minutes of trying to breathe deep and slow down the laughter before I could return to a normal position and behave like a reasonable human being again.

The other time I recall was from church one Sunday night with the Twin. We had a visiting priest from Vietnam, or something, presiding over mass that night. Dude had a ridiculous accent that was just impossible to understand. Not that I'm trying to make fun of Vietnamese, or anything, honest! But seriously...it was only possible to understand every 3rd word, or so, and it was generally something like "and" or "I" or whatever. It was hard to piece together anything comprehensive from that. So I started laughing, he would talk some more, and I would start laughing again, and then Twin started to giggle a little, and that only made it worse. Of course, all of this is being done as quietly as possible because, hello! Church. I finally realized I had to leave to calm down. Going back in for the rest of mass was hard, but I managed to pull it off.

Last night, halfway through "Hilarious" I lost it. Leo was laughing so hard, he was making animal-type noises. I was laughing so hard, I almost peed on the couch. I could barely get out the words, "Stop! Stop the video! I need a break..." because I was laughing too hard.

I wonder if it's almost like a hyperventilation situation when we get laughing that hard? I dunno for sure, but that's what I'd guess. It seems like the laughter feeds itself and makes itself worse, if that makes any sense...

Anyway, all I know is it's good for your core, and it's good for your brain (maybe...the lack of oxygen thing might not be, so much), and it's good for you in general to laugh that hard. So get your hands on it. I totally want to buy it now, so we can watch it annually and laugh so hard, we make up for all the stress we put our bodies through during the rest of the year.

And now I have a new memory to add to my Hardest Laughs EVAR memory bank, and that's never a bad thing.

6 comments:

faithstwin said...

I put it on my Netflix list but will go put it at the top when I am done with this comment. It better hold up to my expectations, dude. The last time I got a 'you-must-see-this' suggestion I was wildly underimpressed. (It wasn't from you.)

While we are at it, Kevin Hart- I highly suggest him as well. You can go to Comedy Central and go to their 'comediens' page (at the bottom of the main page) and go find clips of these people by their last name. Check out Mr. Hart. I hope you won't be disappointed.

Side note: one thing about contemplating joining a gym? Looking at the pretty men. Not the big, overly beefy ones. Just the ones that are in shape, you know? I'm kinda glad the rowing machines are shoved in the corner they are in... Makes my voyeurism a bit less obvious.

Faith said...

Well, all I can say is that I hope it entertains you as much as it did us. If not, then I might need to shun you as a sister.

:P

And that is absolutely true about the dudes at the gym. We have a few too many goofy ones at my gym, IMO, but they keep to themselves and aren't dicks much of the time. So I can't complain much, I guess.

faithstwin said...

'Goofy' how? I saw a couple of goofy (mostly the women. And I am hardly jealous. These were those chicks that are stick straight with the big hair and big, fake boobs? Totally laughable!) but a few great looking. Then again, I caught myself wondering why these good looking guys were at the gym at 11:30 in the afternoon...on a Wednesday.

Faith said...

Hahaha! Well, if they're anything like my neighbor, he prefers going to the gym mid-day, because there are fewer people there, and he can take his "lunch hour" whenever he pleases in the position he's in at work. So there's that explanation. They might be gainfully employed good looking guys, yo!

faithstwin said...

True, true. I did notice the local fire station ambulance out front, so I'm sure there were more than a couple fire dudes in there that were looking nice. I suppose they could have been execs taking their lunch, too. Makes sense. Now I feel better! I think I'll join up for the 3 month plan and see how it goes. Though the one rowing machine I used on Tuesday was broken yesterday and my alternative was the older, less resistant one I am in mucho pain today taking the day off. I literally cringe while climbing into the car because of the pain. That's another thing about working out in public: you are kind of forced to stay on a machine another 5 minutes, then 5 more because you don't want to look like some weirdo using a machine for 15 minutes only to get up and leave. Self conscious behavior does NOT suit me. But it may get me into better shape!

christinag said...

I've had 'laughing jags' that lasted over 20 minutes!! It's being in the right frame of mine, a husband who continues to be a dork in the right way, and a few other things (planets aligned, cycle at the right time, etc etc etc). I love them, although the first one was in bed with my now husband; he thought I'd lost my mind (and no, it didn't have anything to do with 'sex'). :) My kids love it when I do that. I've probably had around 7 in my entire life.