Friday, February 18, 2011

Did you all know that people in concentration camps were actually in good shape?

I saw my endocrinologist today for the follow up on all my tests that I did a month ago.

He's an odd bird.

All my tests came out at normal levels. Which is good, and should be celebrated, I s'pose.

But I'm still big and fat and need help with that. So I guess we now know for sure that it's because I need to eat waaaay less, and just keep up with as much exercise as I can. (Still 4 times a week right now. I'm trying to squeeze in another day, but dammit, it's hard!)

I told him I was worried after our last appointment because he had told me that I might have to cut my calorie consumption in half, and that would mean, like, 700 - 800 calories per day. Which seems unhealthy and a little ridiculous to me. And he said, "Some people are offended when I say this, but just think about how people in concentration camps lived on less than 1200 calories a day."

Oookaaayyy...

I didn't really flinch at that comment. I asked the guy for a daily Rx for prozac, and I didn't need him to take that back from me, so I just went along with it.

I told him that I just thought it was supposed to be unhealthy for your body and metabolism to be placed on such a restrictive diet. He said, "Nah...your body adjusts!"

Hm. Like an anorexic's body does? You know, with eventual organ failure and hair falling out and stuff? (I didn't say that, but I was thinking it...)

Anyway, he recommended I look into that Slim4Life weight loss company, because he thinks it's the best one available, hands down. I think my working out and maintenance of 1200 - 1400 calories per day will do the job, though, so I'm going to stick with that.

And then I looked up Slim4Life when I got back to my desk and found reviews like these:

"I tried slim for life a year ago and it is so disappointing. Once you break the diet down you are allowed to eat between 800-1200 calories a day! Why in the would would I give someone $1000 to tell me “hey if you eat very little you will lose weight.” What a joke."

"I spent over 2K on slim for life to lose 30 pounds. That did not include the fortune I spent on buying all the “fresh” or “fresh/frozen” food. I took all the nasty pills and drank the nasty power boost and did the whole thing. I lost about 28 in 12 weeks. I HATED every minute of it!"

"I started slim4life in May, 2010 at 184lbs…am now at 145 and while I love the way I look, my hair is falling out and my kidney function is out of whack as well as my ferritin levels have bottomed out. I very firmly believe it is a result of all the “herbs” that I spent over $1000 on."

So, yeaaahhh...I'm gonna go ahead and avoid that place, even though I had little interest in it to begin with.

Anyway, I'm officially done with this endocrinologist. He's supposed to be a pretty darned good doc, so I don't honestly know how to handle the weird concentration camp comment, and all that. But in the meantime, I'm going to keep on being glad that I'm NOT in a concentration camp, keep working on losing weight the way I have been over the last few weeks, and hope that my body doesn't keep getting more and more evil as I get older. Because, dude...I'm just in my 30's now! What the hell will my body do to me when we reach 40??? I don't wanna know...

5 comments:

Well Hell Michelle said...

I have the S4L stuff if you want to look at it. I wouldn't recommend it... I bet it's 800-1000 calories at most. I quit because I pretty much wanted to gnaw my arm off from hunger :)

Catherine V said...

I know several women at my work have tried it, and were not successful -- and yes, I hear it is expensive, too.

You just need to get to a place where you are feeling healthy, no matter what your size is. I think your 4x workouts and 1200-1400 calories are pretty awesome and you should be proud of yourself. I have never heard of 800 calories being an appropriate maintenance diet for any adult.

Ms. Pants said...

Sounds like Quick Weight Loss, which is big here in Texas. They make you drink vinegar n' shit. And it can give you gallstones. Avoid.

Also, this endocrinologist is a dick. Switch.

4gapgirls said...

4gapgirls said...
Hello, I was suppost to go to john edward in lincoln,Ne, Had ticket,just wasn't able to make it.
I have to ask you, Do you remember the first person who came through for john that night in lincoln? I am asking because a lady i kind of know went to john's event and told me my love one was the first to come through. I beleave in all john does i guess i just don't know if this lady is just saying this to try and make me feel better. I don't know. My loss has been recent. If you can remember anything, i will be forever grateful. Lisa thesweetlife67@hotmail.com

Masorti said...

I'm sure my grandmother would love your doctors comparison