Monday, February 28, 2011

Reno. Hrm, and meh.

The trip to Reno was relatively uneventful, except for all the near-death flying experiences, all the laughing that occurred thanks to my brother and sisters being so goddammed fucking funny, and the diseases that I might've caught from the spoogy couch that was in my hotel room. Ew.

I'd never been to Reno before my trip last Friday. It all would've been fine, I'm sure, had it not been such shitty, shitty weather in the west, which caused our plane to Vegas to go slower than it should have, the landing in Vegas to be scarier than it should have, and the snow in Reno to be as impeding as it was for plan landings, et al, on Friday mid-day.

Of course, after we landed (we'd had to circle for about 20 minutes while the airport decided whether to let any of us land or not. Joyous.), it got sunny and lovely throughout the area. Awesome.

Oh, and the lady next to the Twin on the plane was texting people on the ground throughout our delay in the air. Like, when we were circling waiting for the word on whether we could land. Fucking retard.

That said, I survived. We all did. Which is a good thing in my book.

The hotel in Reno was one of the main casinos in town, apparently. They upgraded my room to one of their cavernous models, since the one "I" wanted (my brother booked the rooms, so I really didn't have a preference aside from having one with a bed and private bathroom) wasn't available. I was on the top floor, and my room was ridiculously huge...
Kind of a shitty picture, but seriously, it was ginormous. However, the bathroom hadn't been updated since maybe 1980, so there was some give and take involved. Also, I had been sitting on the couch for a bit when I realized there was some...unidentifyable staining on the couch right next to me. I moved away from it, but after finding it there, it was pretty hard to forget about. Blech.

The view out the window was pretty, though!

Friday night, the Twin and I did a minor amount of gambling, and then we watched our brother and sister gamble a bit. We got tired pretty soon though. After all, we had had a really harrowing day that had started super-early (at least in my case, it did!), so sleep was paramount by the time 11 p.m. rolled around.

The twin continued to have a bit of a rough evening, thanks to blood sugar issues that she wound up having (and which I wish she would have called me for help with!), but I went to bed without too much fan fare around midnight, after popping a couple of Advil and benadryl to ensure true knocked-outedness.

And then at about 2:45, I woke up, for some reason. I laid there for a bit wondering if I was losing my mind or...was the smoke alarm beeping at me intermittently?

Nope. I was not losing my mind. The fucking smoke alarm was beeping. At home, it's a usual indication noise that it makes when the battery needs to be replaced.

Unfortunately, I quit traveling with extra 9-volts on me back in 1996. They just don't seem to come in handy as much now as they did back then.

So I whimpered a little, and got out of bed to flip on a couple of lights, and to confirm that the noise was, indeed, coming from that fucking smoke alarm. And then I called the housekeeping/maintenance line and asked for help. Fortunately, being in a hotel where just about everything was open 24 hours, I was able to get help immediately. A nice maintenance guy came up within 5 minutes to replace the battery on the smoke alarm. He apologized for the inconvenience, and I thanked him for his speedy help, and then went back to sleep.

About 3:15, I was woken again. The beeping was back. But this time, it was happening every 20 seconds or so, instead of every 30. It seemed that replacing the battery had just juiced it up, and gave it more vigor to be able to DRIVE ME MAD.

Again, I called the maintenance line, and didn't attempt to clear the whine from my voice as I begged for help with that DAMNED smoke alarm! The woman assured me that someone would be up ASAP. I climbed into bed to cry/whimper/count the seconds between beeps while I waited for the maintenance guy to come back and help.

He returned with a new smoke alarm in hand, and it took him about 15 minutes to take down the old one, and put up the new one. He said he'd just take it down and leave it, if he could (and don't think I didn't want to ask him to do that!), but it'd be illegal. I told him I understood, and we just had to cross our fingers that this one would behave itself!

And it did.

Unfortunately, when Leo's alarm on his phone went off at 6 a.m. CST on Saturday morning, he made it call me instead of hitting the snooze button. So I'd been asleep again for about 15 minutes when my phone rang.



"HONEY! You called me! HON. WAKE UP."


"Goddammit, honey. You called me when your alarm went off. GET UP."


::whimpering:: "Your fucking phone called me. It's time for you to get up. Please don't call me again!"

"Oh. Ok."

"Love you! BYE."


I hoped he woke up, but didn't really care much. Later, he told me he thought he was having a dream, because he thought his alarm had gone off, but then he heard me yelling at him, "HONEY! WAKE UP. You need to wake up now!" Hahahahaha! Yeah, it was funnier after the fact, and when I'd gotten another few hours of sleep in me.

Anyway, yesterday, I was exhausted. I was super-happy to be alive after all that flying about, but I was just tuckered, yo. Today, I feel a bit better.

Reno was fun, if only because my siblings and I had such a good time together. I'm glad to be back on solid ground for a bit, though. Ooof!


faithstwin said...

Good accounting of said trip.

I am on my deathbed being so ill though. I ache alllll over, my lungs have come out of my mouth at least 3 times and my shoulders, neck, collarbone and ribs all feel like Andre the Giant hugged me for a half hour in his most super tight grip before finally letting go.

I sound like a seal when I cough too, which isn't a problem since the only people hearing it are me and Mr. Puppy during the day. But it hurts. A LOT. =( Only every now and then does the coughing actually accomplish a clearing of any gunk, the rest of the time it's like my lungs are just spazzing out and the result is this horrid dry heaving cough.

Faith said...

Oh, that sounds TERRIBLE!

Remember what I said about the pneumonia thing, dude. Get to a doc tomorrow if it doesn't start to get better. Make sure you're ok.