Friday, April 29, 2011

Am I the only one that does this?

Ok, so Mother's Day is apparently upon us again.

Every time I get a reminder about some kind of Mother's Day gift idea/option in my email inbox, I respond to it in my own special way.

Like the offer from Ancestry.com. "Introduce Mom to her ancestors" it said in the subject line. I said, "Um, I'm guessing that would be tougher for me to do than it would be for her to do herself right about now."

Or the one today from 24 Hour Fitness. "Make it a moving Mother's Day! Spend some quality time with mom and take part in a special Mother's Day weekend Zumba class!" To which I said, "Hmm...I'm thinking that'd be pretty gross. And challenging. Are corpses welcome in Zumba these days?"

This is a tough time of year for me, basically. Yes, I have a mother-in-law...but it's not the same. And yes, all my sisters are mothers, but I haven't traditionally given them anything for Mother's Day in the past. Ever since mom died, it just seems to be a lost "holiday" for me, basically. And I suppose that makes sense on some level, but I also feel a little guilty because I should still help all the moms I know that are still alive to feel special and happy for having taken on something so daunting as raising a kid! (Or two, or three...)

But then I think, well...that's on them, really. I mean, they chose to have those kids, not me! So fuck 'em! :P

Really, though, it's just a shitty time of year for me because I miss my mom so damned much. And then we have Father's Day a month later, and dammit...it's just too much.

3 comments:

Average Jane said...

I know exactly how you feel. My mother, mother-in-law and stepmother are all gone now, so Mother's Day promotions make me sad.

faithstwin said...

Yup. I'm even a Mom and I really don't care for Mother's Day. I go through the motions for the girls' sake.

Catherine V said...

I'm sorry, Faith. I know these can be tough holidays. Love your sense of humor though on the promotions.