Monday, May 23, 2011

Just want to push that last post down a bit...

After the disaster in Joplin last night, it seems callous and mean to have a drunken pirate celebrating the non-end of the world as my top post right now.

Saturday night frightened me. Didn't help much that my husband was a bit tipsy and thought that having flip flops on was sufficient enough coverage for his feet when the fucking tornado sirens were going off in our neighborhood. ::roll eyes::

My coworker came in this morning and said she was planning on texting me that night, probably to give me shit during what was a very frightening time for me. I told her that had she, I wouldn't have responded.

Look, I don't think storms are fun. Or funny. Or non-scary. LOOK AT FUCKING JOPLIN. Storms can get violent FAST. And I live in a very unsafe house for a storm like the one they had last night.

It's not funny to make fun of people like me who have a severe fear of storms and what they can do. It just ISN'T.

5 comments:

lyn said...

I´m glad you guys are okay :)

faithstwin said...

At least you take the sirens seriously- I can't believe I heard Sam on Good Morning America say that the residents had taken the sirens for granted as they sounded so frequently with nothing happening as a reult. Then a guy came in and repeated it saying they had all become wary of the boy crying 'wolf wolf wolf.' REALLY? Isn't it looked upon as a GOOD thing when you hear those sirens but nothing happens? I mean, they sound when rotation is actually HAPPENING, right? So if they sound that means get the fuck to a safe place or suffer the consequences. How sad that they became complacent with that warning system.

Promise me you will never do that, ok? =(

faithstwin said...

Oh, and btw- I was such a good sister I actually paused the movie I was watching to do what I did during your scary time on Saturday. Even if I did end my texting you with a bit of a joke...

Faith said...

Thanks Lyn! I'm glad we're ok, too. =)

I totally appreciate that, Twin. I'm sorry I was bugging you so late that night! But when the sirens go off any other time than during daylight hours? Its like an extra-special kind of freak out time for me!

It IS sad that people have become complacent with the warnings. My trainer said that she laid in bed as the sirens went off on Saturday night. I told her I put on my shoes and tried to get Leo to as well. She was all, "Why?" Um, I dunno...because if you survive anything bad, it's awfully nice to not have to be maneuvering through broken glass, pieces of tree, house, and car, and possibly dead people in your fucking FLIP FLOPS!!!

She had to agree with me, there.

faithstwin said...

Oldest wondered what the significance the shoe demand held as well- and I told her EXACTLY what you just said. "Imagine a tornado or even really bad winds blow through and something hits your house... now imagine trying to navigate through any mess in flip flops. What do I tell you to do if glass is broken? Put shoes on... it's common sense."