Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Apparently, just hacking my email wasn't enough!

We need buffalo meat in our house. Since we don't shop at Whole Foods anymore, it's become hard to find. The stores we tend to shop at don't sell it. So I went to order some online today...

...and promptly had my Amex card declined. So I used my Visa instead, and then went to my Amex account to see what was up. Apparently, it was on hold due to possible fraud.

Some asshole had charged something to the card in a nightclub in New York, and tickets had been purchased for a train line in Europe.

No...not charges that I've made, thanks! So they're taking care of it, and cancelling my old card and sending a new one out right away. Awesome.

Is it coincidental that this happened a few days after my email was hacked on my home computer? The home computer where our house guest took it upon themself to download a new search engine without permission, and for no apparent good reason?

Yeah, someone isn't getting invited back anytime soon, dammit. GRRRR!!!

11 comments:

faithstwin said...

This totally warrants the unleashing of the wrath, I say.

Trader Joe's doesn't have buffalo in their frozen section? They do in ours...

Glad you found the Amex issue before the creep went and bought the Louvre.

Ekey said...

Hmmm... Not know all the details, I am going to say it might have been a coincidence... browser updates and email security and not usually that linked...

But then again, I have seen crazier...

Faith said...

We're thinking that the browser thing isn't the only thing he brought into the computer, maybe. Because you're right, Ekey. It just seems too far fetched that it caused a problem like this! It's just too coincidental that it's all happening after random guest in the house used our computer for whatever he used it for, you know?

Twin, we checked, and our Trader Joe's doesn't carry buffalo. We don't go there weekly, though, o maybe they have it sometimes, and maybe they don't! Not sure. I bought a bunch of ground buffalo, and favorite cuts of steaks (for fajitas, stews, and roasts), so in the meantime, we should be set.

faithstwin said...

Well, if you can get it online, that would be what I prefer anyway.

TJ's can be up-and-down with their stuff sometimes. And even though it seems super popular? They have been known to just stop carrying/producing an item out of nowhere.

Yeah, the credit card activity does seem a far fetched thing to pin on ... wait did you say NYC? I was totally there, got black-out drunk in some night club and may have bought the European train tickets thinking I was in another country. I made a copy of your Amex when I was visiting in August. You caught me.

Stop inviting people to your house. It's too dangerous.

Faith said...

Damn skippy, Twin. The hermit life, it is! (After New Years. ;))

Alisha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alisha said...

We promise to not even look in the direction of your computer. ;)

faithstwin said...

Actually, that sounds like a fun time! I'll be at the annual city NYE party until 8 or 9 and then off to bed for me.

I can't believe I am talking about New Year's already. It all looks so much closer without health insurance.

*sigh*

Nuke said...

McGonagle's on Ward Parkway used to have buffalo pretty often, as well as oseterich on occasion. Dunno if it's farther than you wanna go tho.

And anybody who would install a browser without asking may have other risky online behavior. It COULD be a coincidence but I have my doubts.

Alisha said...

Nuke's right, I was thinking there might be some other "activity" going on there.

Logtar said...

I have been pretty liberal with allowing people to use my PC... I think I am not going to be anymore. I might have to just give people access to an old laptop or something. I agree with Nuke, and I would not trust anything on that computer anymore... time to change all your passwords and maybe do a whole harddrive wipe.