Monday, January 30, 2012

That might've been a catastrophic mistake for a Saturday night, in restrospect.

Saturday night, as Leo and I finished our final drinks and waited on our to-go food from the bar we hang out at now (Nick & Jake's on 135th, in case anyone is wondering. The bar scene there on a Saturday night is mildly ridiculous.), we talked about what movie we were gonna watch when we got home.

We had both "The Change-Up" and "Inside Job" waiting for us in our basement.

Now, perhaps a good majority of you have seen both of those movies, and know instantly what would be a good pick when it comes to finishing off a nice, lighthearted night of good fun, peoplewatching, and yummy food.

We discussed it, briefly, and decided on watching The Change-Up, because we wanted the humor. Leo had initially talked about watching it on Sunday night, is the thing. So that's why there was any discussion at all about it.

Anyway...

The Change-Up is goofy. When a movie begins with a kid basically shitting in his dad's mouth, you know you're in for some random good times.

And then, last night, we popped in Inside Job. Leo seemed wary about watching a documentary. He asked, "Who picked this one out, and why?" when it was first starting. But then the title music kicked in, and it was Peter Gabriel singing "Big Time", and there were ridiculously crazy things being said by seemingly very important financial people about the whole "housing bubble" of 2005 - 2007, and we were hooked.

Guys. GUYS. ::staring intently at all readers:: This movie made me cry. It made me mad. It made me want to punch a few hundred people. (Don't worry...not you!) (Unless you're Ben Bernanke or Larry Summers. Then I definitely want to hit you in the face. Just sayin'.)

Watch that movie, if you haven't yet. It might've been a bigger slap in my face because I worked for one of the companies involved in a large part of the whole subprime debacle that was going on, and dammit guys, I was so fucking proud of that company when I worked there. I left on a sour note because, in spite of their ability to be funding over 14 billion dollars worth of loans per month, they couldn't manage to give me the $2000 per year raise I was asking for. Well, and because of a lot of other things, too. But still...that was a big part of it.

And now they don't exist anymore.

But I think it was a good movie for other reasons, too. Leo learned a lot from watching it. I learned a lot. Yes, it left me wanting to maim certain members of the financial elite in Washington DC/New York. But in a good way, really...

3 comments:

John Guzmán said...

Glad you got out of there when you did... any company that does not take care of their employees (financially) when they can... its an evil corporation in my eyes. Specially if the people on top make a disproportionate amount. The higher up, the more you see it... the sadder it is.

Faith said...

THAT was what you took away from my post? The little bit about how I got fucked over in my salary by a company that I no longer work for?

Dude. The bigger picture. The documentary was well worth seeing. That was my point. I don't give 2 flying shits about my salary negotiations gone bad from 2005.

John Guzmán said...

The point is obvious in my opinion. I have seen many documentaries on this subject... and dealt with plenty of fallout from it myself both directly and indirectly.

I think you missed my point though, the negotiations or you not getting the raise probably had nothing to do with you or your talent. It is common practice to keep all the money on top, that is what I think is wrong with that corporate system... I have seen it a lot.

I love the fact that we just never get what the other is saying, lol.