Thursday, April 26, 2012

UPDATE: Bring your child (a.k.a. germ factory) to work day: A quick Googling told me that this is a nationwide affliction...

So today is (national?) Take Your Child To Work Day. We have rules for it here at my company, but "rules' is a relative word when it comes to a multi-child household, I guess. I dunno...

The issue I have with this kind of thing isn't that there are KIDS at my work. Boo! Hiss! ICKY!

I mean, I can see how that would be a logical conclusion for many who know me, and are already aware of my strong dislike for small people of the child variety. But I can assure you, I think that the practice is a good thing, when done properly.

  • I think the kids that are brought to work should be older than, say, 12.
  • I think that the kid should be well-informed about what kind of work mom or dad does.
  • I think that there should be efforts made by the parent to get the kid involved in learning something about their job, whether it be a small item or a big one. Depends on the capacity for information the kid has, of course!
  • I think, also, that there should be a limit to the amount of kids each parent can bring in. That just seems like a no-brainer, but maybe that's 'cuz I work with a guy who has 6 young kids in his household, and it was actually a joke as to whether he'd be loaning any of them out for the day to anyone that needed a kid in order to participate in the activities our workplace is hosting for the day.

But when I saw some dude walking into the building with 3 sloppily-dressed kids, 2 of which are clearly under the age of 12, with the youngest carrying a pillow and a blanket? Dude, YOU'RE DOIN' IT WRONG.

This shouldn't just be a day off from school for all the children in the household. This should be a well thought out process whereby the parent taking the child to work should be interested in actually imparting some form of interest in work to their young offspring. A way to let kids see that their parents have to be serious in their job, but that they also enjoy going to work because of A, B, and C items.

Does this make sense to anyone else? Am I just talking out of my ass because I (gasp!) am childless and this makes it obviously easier for me to assign these kinds of loosely bound "rules" to the whole concept?

UPDATE at 1 p.m. CST: How ironic is it that my boss is in a meeting all afternoon and has asked me to watch his 13 year old daughter for him? Hahahaha! (She's nice. Reminds me of my nieces. She's a good mix between the two...kinda cracking me up right now!)

6 comments:

Fluffycat said...

I agree totally with you - the kids should be learning something from the experience. And not just as an alternative to finding babysitting for the day. Six kids? Yeesh.

Faith said...

I KNOW, Fluffycat, right? The thing is, the dude that has 6 kids doesn't look old enough to have 6 kids! And he's the nicest dude, too...

Catherine V said...

Hey now, people with kids (incl myself) like "rules," too! At my company, most employees have children and we have a very streamlined, well-run Take You Kid to Work Day! I agree there should be a minimum age. I think ours is 10 or 11.

I think that's pretty funny that you got stuck babysitting. As much as you might dislike this day, you probably shouldn't bring it up with anyone that it should be better organized .. but guess who will then likely get stuck with the job of running it! :)

Faith said...

It actually was a pretty well-done thing this year. We had a scavenger hunt, and spent a couple of hours doing that. And then they had a little giveaway to the scavenger participants, by drawing names and giving away coloring books and movie tickets and stuff. It was a good way to end the whole event.

Dan said...

You're so reasonable and correct, and even-tempered, I wonder if you got the kid to do your posting for you.

Faith said...

@Dan: :P

Smartass.