Wednesday, May 02, 2012

I have some needles, now. I thought I'd try that heroin diet...

Ok, no I'm not really doing heroin.

But I DO have the needles now, should I choose to give it a go!

The dogs both have allergies. Since they are like fur-children to us, meaning that, next to our own bodies, we are most concerned about the wellness of our puppies, we want them to be as happy and healthy as possible.

But Jake will licklicklicklicklick himself to the point where he's basically soaked from chest to dick. And then he'll start chewing on his paws. And in between, he will rub his head and neck all over the grass/carpet/wood floor as if trying to scratch an itch that just will not go away.

And Izzy has this unfortunate problem that can happen as often as a couple of times a week to just maybe once a month, where she starts licking the ground all over, inside and outside the house, carpeted or covered in dirt, presumably to try to get herself to vomit. Which she eventually will do. This generally happens late at night, and it is heartbreaking to both Leo and I to see her dealing with.

So we allowed the vet to run full blood panels on them both in order to learn what they're allergic to. Those who have gone through this process know that this? Is an expensive process. But you shouldn't judge because, really, we don't have to send the dogs to college in 12 years. So we're good to spend money like this on things that will make them happier and healthier.

Anyway, this morning, we had to take the puppies in and learn how to give them both injections. Because the next stage after the blood tests involves us basically trying to immunize our dogs against everything they're allergic to, and that involves us giving them a series of shots of varying potency for the next, oh, rest of their lives. (We've already changed the kinds of treats we give them, along with their food, and I'm working on finding non-cotton sheets that aren't 100% silk because OF COURSE, Jake is allergic to cotton. ::SIGH::) So I'm good with giving the shots, which is amazing to me considering that I haven't been able to watch my twin sister give herself her insulin shots for the last 32 years that she's been diabetic, but Leo needs more practice. I'm surprised that he even tried, to be honest. He really, really, REALLY hates needles. Really. Like, supercalifrajalistically. Anyway, I did a decent job, and I figure Leo will get better at it over time.

And if anyone ever questioned my ability to love small things prior to now, this should hopefully clear some of your skepticism up. I love my dogs. LOVE THEM. Do not know what I will do when they die, kind of love.

And while this might not seem to be connected in any way, it still makes me want to address the possible confusion anyone might have over the sentiment I expressed in my last post about feeling pretty fine with the whole idea of Bring Your Offspring To Work Day that we had last week. Dan, in particular, was surprised that I could be so reasonable about the concept.

But here's the thing: if you HAVE TO have children, you might as well create productive, thoughtful, well-rounded little persons to put forth in this world, right? Part of that well-roundedness is developed, I think, by teaching children how to take care of themselves eventually. And that is generally achieved by children going out, whether at age 13, 14 or 16 and getting themselves a JOB. Something as simple as mowing lawns, to working in a fast food restaurant.

When I was 16, for example, I worked in a doctor's office a few hours a week, doing filing and sometimes answering phones. It didn't work out to be a long term deal, because I just wasn't ready for that kind of responsibility as it turns out, but I still "worked" during one of my hours at school as an assistant in the activities office, so I had that experience going on, too. And when I was 17, I tried again in the public sector, going to work at a place called Baja Fresh - sort of a fast-casual taco and burrito place that was a clean, nice, sort of fun place to work. Sometimes it was hard. Sometimes, I just wanted to wash dishes in the back instead of dealing with customers, and so I did. I had to wear a uniform, and make chips from tortillas, and clean refried beans from large pots, and I still remember those tasks like I just quit that job yesterday.

Anyway, the jobs I had were not truly necessary in my case. I wasn't bringing home extra income for my family so that we could pay the bills. I was working so I could buy things like a replacement boom box because the one that my parents gave me for Christmas was stolen at a stupid party I threw one night at our house in the mountains. I was Spoiled with a capital S, but I still wanted to work, for whatever reason. My parents were fine with it, as long as my grades didn't suffer. I get the idea that many of the kids whose parents are my coworkers have a similar situation in their homes.

But I hope they see that work is necessary. It is important. It is an integral part to their eventual usefulness as productive members of society. And whether they go out and get jobs as teenagers, or wait until after college to pursue a job of any type, I think they need to be told, from an early age, that work is not just important but that it should be inevitable. I don't care if, say, my twin's oldest daughter marries rich and doesn't have to work in order to make a living. She should WANT TO work. Even if that means volunteering to run fundraisers and such...a job that teaches her how to organize things like that would be important to have earlier on in life, IMO. (But she's also already earning money as a cellist, even though she's only 15 and a half, so I have high hopes for her at this point! :D)

Working is never demeaning, regardless of the position one holds in their workplace. If you're earning a paycheck, you are doing right by the world. Now go and tell your kids that Auntie Faith said so. And if they have any questions, you feel free to direct them my way. I'm always happy to impart my wisdom where needed. :P

5 comments:

faithstwin said...

I am proud of my kids and their individual accomplishments and see that even though they have ME as an example they both have great goals and WANT to work as soon as they possibly can.

I have expressed concerns about Oldest and her inability to take direction from anyone as she knows EVERYTHING already and isn't afraid of making mistakes and learning from them however this past weekend we all worked the AYSO registration event and she not only took direction from me but she caught on quickly and managed to be personable even when stupid parents got all rude with her.

On the flip side- I hope the puppies turn out ok! That would be so difficult to deal with and I am really sorry everyone is having to - but they couldn't have two more caring people to look after them, I'm sure.

Old Fart said...

My wife pretty much does all our minor veterinary work on our three greyhounds. Shots, wound stapling, you name it. Short of surgery, she's taught herself how to do it all by insisting our vets allow her to oversee everything they do to our dogs. She even "sat in" on one of our dogs neuter surgeries.

Faith said...

WOUND STAPLING? AUGH!!!! More power to your wife, Old Fart. That right there is downright impressive! :D

Twin, how awesome that oldest was able to help out so well at the AYSO thing! She's a good egg, as is youngest. I expect great things from them both. Warn them accordingly. :P

Also, the whole caring people thing? Um, would it change you mind at all if I told you that last night, we were discussing Jake's new favorite spot on the couch, and as if on cue, Izzy got up, walked over to where Jake was lying down, and promptly laid down almost on top of him and then she DID put her head on top of his, causing him to have to move his to the armrest...which looked very uncomfy. But still was so funny, we HAD TO laugh! It was hilarious. They are just ridiculous sometimes...

Fluffycat said...

I was thinking in regards to non-cotton sheets that they have a lot that are poly-mix and new materials, that might work for you but they might be more expensive. I have my eye on some incredibly expensive sheets at Bed, Bath, and Beyond that promise to be cool in summer and warm in winter. They probably are not as good as the sign says.

Faith said...

Hahahaha! I would LOVE sheets like that, Fluffycat. I'm totally gonna look into them. I'll be happy to give a review after we sleep on them! :D