Wednesday, May 23, 2012

No longer designated to the back of a drawer in the closet...

Apparently, this Fifty Shades of Grey phenom has everyone and their mom (and grandma? And daughters. Etc, etc, etceteraaaaa...) looking into OTHER books that offer even better sex scenes and nasty bits. Better plots. Better writing. Better everything all around.

Brittany has a list of suggestions over in her Amuse Bouche section today that might prove useful to anyone looking for a new...eh em, high now that they've finished reading the Grey Trilogy.

Jen over at People I Want to Punch in the Throat was talking about suggestions people gave her to move on from the Grey Trilogy to the Sleeping Beauty Trilogy by Anne Rice in her weekly wrap up on Sunday. That one sounded interesting to me, and I might check it out later today. We'll see...

I swear I've run across other suggestions for follow-up reading after finishing with the Grey books, but I think they were in my Glamour magazine, and I don't have links to that stuff. Anyway...

I find this shift in literary interest fascinating, personally. Smutty books have been around for as long as people have been writing shit down on paper, obviously. But they were books that were considered a somewhat guilty pleasure for a lot of us. I haven't read one since I was living in Boston, and my entertainment during my lunch break was this book that someone had left behind in the breakroom at the Ann Taylor I worked at. I picked it up and read a few pages as a silly joke to myself one day, and eventually got to the point where I was taking it home with me to keep reading, so I could find out what happened next. It wasn't fabulously written, but it wasn't bad. And it kept me in suspense. And had a fair amount of smut involved, to boot. Still, I wasn't embarrassed to take it down to the food court to read while I ate my lunch there instead of in the breakroom.

My parents kept books like that hidden in their closet. (Not very well, as I know I remember finding their hiding place without issue. Not that I was looking for smutty books, of course! I was looking for dad's hidden Playboys, DUH.)

And I know that there's still a big interest in non-smutty works, for sure. I'm in the middle of a YA novel Spoiled by the girls over at Go Fug Yourself right now, actually, and have 3 of the Harry Potter books to read still, dammit. And I'm reading Jenny's (a.k.a. The Bloggess) book Let's Pretend This Never Happened right now, too.

But I'm thinking it might be time for a break from all that awesomeness. And time to hop on this fun, suddenly-acceptable to all smut train that seems to be rolling across the world. It IS summertime, after all. Why not embrace my inner vixen? Everyone else is doing it, right? :D

5 comments:

lyn said...

thumbs up on the ann rice trilogy, i read those like 20 years ago so this whole 50 shades of grey thing is kinda funny to me.

if i don't get to comment again before you guys take off to chicage, have a good trip!

Nuke said...

Hell somebody in the lifestyle gave me the Snow White books years ago. If I still had them I'd give them to you. I remember them being OK, if a little over done. There is also Exit To Eden. The movie was a comedy but the book was supposed to be a little spicier.


I read the Blogess's book. I found her from your links to the right. That was some seriously funny shit!

Faith said...

She's had a crazy life, hasn't she Nuke? SO much fun to read about!!!

Lyn, so good to hear from you! Happy early birthday, and I hope we get to see each other again soon!

faithstwin said...

Maybe I'll check out the Ann Rice next- I'm in the beginning of the final Grey Trilogy. It's been a pathetic ride, really. I literally find myself skipping the sex parts now to get to the actual story just to finish it all up. Really, I just want to see if they end up happy together finally or not. I don't need to read how glorious Ana finds Christians dick overandoverandover and I really don't need to read how Christian thinks Ana is so wet so easily. Gah!

So, ummmm, yeah... have a great time in Chicago! =D

thedirtyknitter said...

I read the anne rice trilogy as well 15+ yrs ago when in college. I'm sure my kids will find them hidden in a box in the basement someday...