Friday, May 25, 2012

Ok, but before you go away for the weekend...

...how about a small disaster in your yard?


A tree...no, wait...a LARGE tree fell over in our yard into our pool today. Took out our patio table, too. 


It was the largest tree that was up against the fence we share with our neighbor, Ed. In the fall, we had some drainage systems added to our whole yard because we had a problem with rotting wood and windows and stuff around the house. So french drain system went in, and apparently, all kinds of roots were cut.


This is the view from Ed's yard. The tree that fell was probably about 25 feet tall, I'd guess.
This is incredibly depressing to me, not only because of the mess it's made, and the loss of privacy between the two yards, but also because it was a healthy, happy, wonderful tree. And now it's just gone.

We're pretty sure that it was the installment of the french drain alongside the tree that caused it to become so weak. Not only did it have less ground to hold on to on wet days like today, but it's fucking ROOTS WERE HACKED. Now, I was unaware of that. I had no idea that a drain was even over there. I leave all the outdoor shit to Leo to handle because as soon as he starts talking about it, my brain wanders off and thinks about those awesome clothes I ordered from that British company I love and whether they'll show up anytime soon, and then whether or not I've exceeded my Weight Watchers points for the day/week, and which Friends rerun will be on tonight, etc, etc...

So I guess that was my mistake? Or lesson learned for Leo? I dunno.

But dammit. Now I REALLY need a good weekend away. Hope you're ready for me, Chicago!

Happy Memorial Day, all. And to any veterans, or families of vets that might be reading this, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. THANK YOU, for all you did, all you do, and all you continue to do in support of our great country.

2 comments:

Fluffycat said...

I'm in the process of looking for a home to buy, trying to decide between home and townhome. Then I read this and think that townhomes are less scary to me. I'm not much of a thinking about outdoor stuff person, though I like it when it looks pretty.

decks canada said...

Very Nice greenfly Outdoor moments....