Monday, June 11, 2012

Don't be a dick at the airport.

Leo and I flew home from California on Saturday. The Twin is doing much better, and we had a chance to see some family that I hadn't seen in YEARS while we were out there, so overall, the trip had gone very well in my opinion. I was in a good mood, in spite of the row of children that had sat behind us from Orange County to Denver, and the bumpy landing in the mile high city...we were running on time, and had time to grab a bite to eat before our flight to KC.

On our way to the restaurant between our arrival and departure gate, we had the option of riding on 2 moving walkways. The first one we got on, we decided to just stand on, since we weren't in any large hurry. There were 3 people in front of us, and then a person behind us that apparently wanted to walk insead of stand. That person passed us, and then attempted to pass the 3 people in front of us.

But those 3 people moved to the left, and then to the right, and as they were all out of synch with each other, they simply kept blocking the person from walking. I finally said, "You're supposed to stand on the right of the walkway so people can pass on the left if they want to walk," and one of them looked back at me with this shitty grin on his face, while Leo took the opportunity to walk past the trio instead of remaining behind them. As I attempted to pass, though, the famale member of the troup spread her legs, and blocked the entire walkway. One of her friends had started walking when she did that, and was laughing back at us. I said, "Excuse me." She began to move forward with her legs still spread out, blocking my path and walking very slowly. "I'm sorry, but pardon me," I said again.

She stepped aside, and said theatrically, "Oh. I'm so SORRY. Excuse ME." And then laughed at me. Her friend that was still ahead of me kind of shrugged and kept that shitty grin on his face as Leo and I approached him, and I said, "It's fun to act like a dick in the airport, eh?" And then we stepped off the walkway, and moved on to the next one.

The group was following closer behind at that point, and they were all laughing, and the girl was immitating me in a dopey voice, and I turned around and said, "There's no reason to act like a dick at the airport, you know?" I don't know why I said it. I just don't understand why someone would purposely block fellow travelers from moving from place to place, knowing that some people have very short connection times. But the girl and her two friends just laughed, and she said, "I have a BIG dick. A big, ol dick," and mimicked holding a giant penis in front of her skirt. I just said, "Real mature." And Leo and I continued on toward our gate to make sure everything was still running on time.

I don't like it when people are dicks in general. Bad moods are one thing...we all have 'em from time to time. Being snappy or acting a little "off" because of it is something I can manage to deal with. I do it too!

But just to be a dick in order to get a laugh from it? What is that about? Why do people do it? I'd rather have someone be out and out mean to me due to a bad mood, than to have someone try to purposely rile me up for their amusement.

Actually, I'd rather avoid both scenarios as much as possible, but if I had to choose between the two, that's how I'd roll. So don't be a dick. Please.

5 comments:

faithstwin said...

OMG! What were they, like, 12 or something? How dumb!

I was kind of a dick in Target yesterday, though. I was getting in line when I realized the register next to the one I was originally going to was a better choice so I had Oldest go there while I maneuvered the cart. A lady had turned to come down to that register as well and right as I got in front of her I heard her go, "Okaaayyy..." Oldest was already there, though! I was justified. (And then her kid was totally in my personal space while I was paying so they got a dirty look from me on top of it all.) But I didn't intend to be a dick. It sorta just happened.

John Guzmán said...

I guess trolling now happens not only in the interwebs.

Faith said...

It was totally troll behavior. That's what I was thinking, too!

Twin, I don't think that was you being a dick. That was an opportunity that you jumped on in a way that might've seemed dickish to that lady, but I bet if it had been her in your place, she'd have done the same thing.

The people in the airport were in their late teens/early 20's, by my best estimate. The girl was wearing a tank top, a long peasant-ish skirt, and had dreadlocks. Her guy friends both looked high. I'm guessing they play that kind of game with people often, and think they are just the kitties titties for being so clever. ::roll eyes::

faithstwin said...

Ummm the 'kitties titties'? You need to stop hanging out with Leo...

decks canada said...

hi, this s nice one....