Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Warning: polarizing post ahead!

Question: what do you do if, while you're at your doc's office for an exam, and you're basically naked except for a cotton poncho and a thin sheet (you might have a paper "gown" in your case...in my case, I was at the gyno, so that's the uniform there), and the fire alarm goes off?

Do you put your clothes on in a hurry and get your ass outside?

Or do you head out in your thin-sheeted glory, expecting that you won't be the only one out in the parking lot dressed that way?

Just something that crossed my mind this morning as I lay on the table waiting for my doc to come in the room. (I was relaxing while I waited. I usually sit up, but today I was tired, and I wanted a nap. Unfortunately, soon after I lay down, I noticed the fire alarm thingy on the roof, and these thoughts started to run through my head, which kept me from catching any shut eye. And then I couldn't stop chastising myself for even thinking about it because...Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, anyone? Of course, since I thought about it, it was likely to happen now. Fortunately, it did not. And if the fire alarm goes off in that building at all today, I will feel very bad about it!)

Sitting in the waiting room at the gyno's office, there were loads of other women waiting to see their own doctors, and ALL of them were pregnant. 2 went in right after I sat down. So as I was sitting there, 9 pregnant women were hanging out, just waiting to discuss their pregnant belleh's. And then 10! And then, thank goodness, I was called back to the exam room.

It seemed I was the only woman there this morning at 9 a.m. just for an annual visit to make sure my ute is up to scratch and disease-free.

Babies. Lots of babies. Several of the women had older children in tow, as well.

I don't know why it struck me as...a bit much.

I know, I KNOW. I was at the gynocologist. What did I expect, right?

It's just...SO many pregnant women. And I was the only one there for myself. Just MY body.

I was the odd woman out. I wonder if that will ever change?

1 comment:

Fluffycat said...

I feel the same way when I go, but I think the issue is that pregnant women have to go in more often and are more likely to be there. And there are plenty of ladies out there who aren't getting checked out often enough either.

Going there, seeing hugely pregnant women, especially with their other kids crying, makes me feel firmer about my decision to not procreate. But I think it's a personal choice on my part and people have to make their own choices.