Thursday, August 09, 2012

Is this inappropriate?

So I'm trying to work my way into more charity events in town lately. It's a new thing for me to actually attend the events in a capacity aside from volunteering to help run them, so I don't really know how to handle the other side of the "curtain", if you will.

For example, there's a party that's coming up pretty quickly, called the KC Hospice House Angel Gala, on Saturday 8/25. I just heard about it today, because my company has a volunteer group that helps out with events like this, and they were advertising their need for volunteers on our intranet this morning.

I decided to look into what it would take to attend the gala as a guest.

Now, Leo and I can buy single tickets and attend on our own, which seems easy enough, but we can also buy a table for 10, and invite guests to join us at the gala.

Which sounds like fun! People get to dress up a little (cocktail attire), and bid for things at the silent auction (maybe someone can pick up a Mr.Beaumont of their own!), and eat yummy dinner, drink cocktails, and get some sort of entertainment that sounds neat.

So I was wondering if I shoudl do that...buy a table, and then invite coworkers and other friends to join us, if they'd like to.

But how inappropriate is that, do you think? I was considering sending out an email, but I don't know if it' totally tacky or not.

What say you, readers?

7 comments:

faithstwin said...

Is your concern that you would look like a richy rich if you did buy the table and then people would hate you or something? I'm not sure where the problem is right now.

I say you buy the table, though. That sounds like fun.

Mike Ekey said...

Not at all out of the norm. I have hosted and organized a number of these events through the college. Typically the table reservations are purchased by a company or organization that invites many people to attend. But I have also known individuals who buy the table and invite friends.

The bigger faux pas (at least what I have read in the etiquette guides for these events) would be that you pay for friends to attend with you and then they not donate anything to the organization at the event. But that would not be an issue with the host, but it would be between you and your friends - if that would even matter to you.

Sounds like a fun evening though!

Xavier Onassis said...

See, I think that would put a lot of pressure on the invitees. The charity event probably wasn't even on their radar screen, now someone they know has plopped down a chunk of change for a table and is inviting them to attend. A normal person would feel obligated to find something appropriate to wear, attend trhe event and bid on stuff. That's a bit heavier than just "hey, feel like Happy Hour after work?"

Faith said...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, XO.

I know of several of my coworkers that attend events annually, though, like the Zoo thing that happens every spring, so I know they aren't totally anti-charity, or whatever.

Part of my motivation is that I really like my coworkers, and wouldn't mind hanging out with them outside of the office at things like ball games, charity events, etc, etc...so I'm wondering if this might set a precedent to get me (and Leo) more involved in those kinds of things in the future.

Another part of the motivation is being someone like my mom was...an organizer who pulled did stuff like this on a regular basis. But she and dad had a group of friends that they regularly hung out with who were the automatic invitees to events like this.

Twin, I don't care about my coworkers thinking that I'm rich. I don't think they care any more than I do if anyone we work with has a significant amount of cash. For me, it's more about what XO mentioned, and people feeling like there might be some pressure to donate/become involved in something that they simply have no interest in. And that's something I can totally respect. I, for instance, am wanting to get more involved in things like Wayside Waifs and Harvesters and SAFEHOME and stuff, because I'm trying to disassociate myself from United Way, which is a big charity org that my company is tied into.

Does any of this rambling make any sense? BLAH. :S

Average Jane said...

Almost every instance where I've attended a semi-fancy charity event involved someone else buying a table and inviting me to attend. I think it's a pretty standard thing.

Faith said...

Ok, cool. I sent out an email to my coworkers this morning, to get a feel for whether they'd like to join us or not.

I'm excited about jumping into the philanthropic fray of Kansas City finally, dammit! WOO!

Catherine V said...

Good for you! I think it's totally awesome you are doing this. I've been invited to be part of a table on several occasions, and I've always been flattered and excited to participate -- never ever felt pressured, etc. Of course, I always spent money at the event, which I was more than happy to do considering I'd just gotten a good meal, drinks, and fun with friends. It's a great way to get people to open the purse strings for a good cause. (Also, if someone isn't interested, they'll just say they aren't avail, no biggie.)