Friday, May 10, 2013

Progress update, and some more design detail inspirations

This week has been one for the books. I had shit going on at work, shit going on personally, and in general have just been trying to skate through it unscathed, so I can get to my VACATION that starts next week. WOO!

But as far as the remodel goes, it's been a productive week. The shower tile started going in on Monday, and it seemed slow-going at first, but before we knew it, grout was in, and now we're waiting on the countertops to be installed, and stuff.

I was wrong about the focal wall above my vanity being tiled this week...we do have to wait for the countertops for that stage, and it's looking more like they will go in next week. So I'll have to wait till I get back from vacation to see it in person. I'm so excited! Everyone is excited for me! The contractor, the tile guy, Leo...it's all very fun.

So we met with the contractor on Wednesday to go over some finalizing details. We had to decide on the type of wood we'll be using for the front of the vanities, as well as for the tub surround. So we got that taken care of. We also chose an unusual knob for the drawers and cupboards in the space that should bring a fair amount of femininity to the relatively masculine feel of the cabinets and the majority of the tile. This was our inspiration for both the cabinets and the knobs:


Leo was 100% on board once I showed him that photo, so I went to Anthroplogie and found a few knobs for us to ponder. This one is their Bubbled Glass Knob, and goes for $8 a piece. We will have a total of about 16 knobs that we'll need for all the cabinets we're having installed, so that runs a very affordable $128.

Next up, I found this Silvered Mirror Knob in the Diamond shape. It was a very pretty option, too. It runs $10 a piece, so we'd be looking at $160 if we went with these. Still very reasonable for the effect we're trying to achieve:
That knob also comes in loads of other shapes. Prism, petite orb, pebble, etc, etc...so any number of styles are available for people to choose. It's quality stuff, so I totally recommend them!

Lastly, I fell in love with this knob. The Deco Block. It is actually quite large, and very heavy. And it's a little off of the style we were going toward, but I love it so damned much, I had to see if it might work! It didn't. Leo said nuh-uh to it as an option. (He also has totally nixed the secret bookcase door option for our entrance to the master, so he's skating on thin ice right now, lemme tell ya!) It's pretty awesome, though. It, too, costs $10 per item.
Seriously, if you've ever considered finding a special little something to give your own space some umph and a little sumpn'-sumpn', check out all the knob options at Anthro. Totally worth it!
So, as I mentioned, the shower tile has gone in. I haven't gotten a shot of it with the grout, but here it is the day they finished the actual tiling:

The bubble tile that everyone encouraged us to go ahead and get looks PERFECT, you guys. Just slammin'. We are SO fucking HAPPY we went with this one!;
Yesterday, they put up a bunch of the trim around doorways and windows and stuff, and the grout went into the shower, and I don't know what they're doing today, but I can't wait to get home and see! I'll have more photos up next week, for sure. Come on back and see the changes, and let me know what you think!

No comments: