Tuesday, January 07, 2014

I have a plague, of sorts...

It's a fucked up week here in the Smith household. I caught a plague last week - pretty sure it was because of the dumbass beyotch that was on the treadmill next to mine Thursday morning at the gym that coughed a definitely sick cough in my direction as a quick break from up-till-then nonstop chatter with her friend that was on the other side of her treadmill from me. Of course she didn't want to cough on her friend...noooo. She turned toward the stranger in the other direction to cough. Why didn't she cough into her towel, you might be asking? That's right! BECAUSE SHE WAS TOO GOOD TO HAVE A TOWEL WITH HER.

You know, AT THE FUCKING GYM.

I'm a sweater, as in, when I work out, I sweat. A LOT. So, naturally, I always have a towel with me to help sop up my sweaty head and chest as I work out, and keep from losing my mind with the sweat-dripping-into-my-eyes thing.

I understand that there are a select few people who do not sweat so much when they're at the gym. (Or when they're standing still on a mediocrely air-conditioned bus on an 80 degree day in Chicago. Or when they are having a heated conversation with a loved one on the phone. Etc, etc...) They are lucky, in my book. Lucky, lucky lil' bastids.

But the fact remains that if one is going to the gym, one should have a TOWEL with them. I don't care if it's a fucking washcloth. I don't care if it's a kitchen hand towel. Doesn't even matter if you're acting all Linus-like, and carrying around a bath towel while you move from machine to machine. Just...carry a fucking towel, ok? GOD. They cost around $3 at Target. Likely even cheaper at K-Mart or Sears. It's just not that big of a deal to have to carry a goddammed towel!!! Because sometimes, you might need to sneeze when you're working out. Or, hey, cough! And having a towel with you to cover your face in the event of a sneeze or a cough is just good planning, in my book.

Anyway, so this bitch coughed a wet, hacking cough in my direction, and I tried not to breathe it in, but I was huffing and puffing, and God knows what made it's way to my nose/mouth, and of course at about 6 p.m. that night, my throat started to tickle and hurt. I got a lozenge and wished it all away.

But then my lungs started hurting about an hour later...and that's never a good sign of nuthin'.

Goddammed gym! AUGH!

I'm feeling marginally better today, but I'm on about 800 different types of meds, so God knows which one is working it's magic, if any at all. The doc suggested that I stay away from any hard workouts, so I called in sick to my trainer, and will hopefully be well enough to see him Thursday this week. The holidays were not kind to my attempt at keeping a clean diet, so workouts are key right now. It's ok...I'm hopeful for next year's "me", and that she'll have more control over herself and be able to stay more on track, but the "me" from this past year? She wasn't quite there yet. And that's ok. I'm trying not to be too mean to her about it. Her skin is good right now, so we're just happy for small favors at this point. ;)

1 comment:

Average Jane said...

Aaagh! I hate people like that SO MUCH!