Friday, February 28, 2014

End of week one. Only around 8 (or 20...) to go!

At the end of this whole remodel project, THIS is what our new basement will look like. Exactly like this. With the same movie on the TV, and everything.
Yeah, it's a magical basement, where the ceilings can be vaulted and the dollars are plentiful and overflowing...

Ok, it won't really look like that. I wish it could look like that, but that's all it is. We'll have to settle for something significantly less grand. (And less lodge-ish. Leo isn't as into the rustic shit as I am, anyway.)

Here are some of the pictures that are inspiring some of the design decisions we're making in our new space. A new space that currently looks like THIS, mind you:

Aaahhhh...I do love a good blank slate. I hope the guys that tore all that shit out are starting their weekends early. They totally earned it.

The completely empty space leaves us a lot of room for design options. I mentioned that we had plans for those support columns when it came to the design...something that we've always wanted was additional seating around the TV in our basement. Also, having a spot to eat food/serve food from would be helpful. The old bar had an odd edge on it that was awkward when it came to eating. It made me drop a rib once. A WHOLE RIB. On the floor. And Jake got it, and he almost swallowed it whole, and it was a bad time all around. It was a fine place to serve food from, but when it came to eating there, it was just not functional. So I found these photos on Houzz:


Modern Basement by Ajax General Contractors Westlake Construction

...and was inspired by the functionality of that kind of seating arrangement. Ours will be a mix of those two pictures. Bar-height seating that will have a great view of the TV. Woo!

Since we'll have the bar in a new, more narrow section of the basement, it's more about it functioning as a mini-kitchen than as a seating area. So it will look more like this:

Contemporary Wine Cellar by Victoria Photographers Joshua Lawrence Studios INC

Open shelving is cheaper than full cabinets. And they serve the same function as closed cabinets do, in this case. We'll have a dishwasher, and then a standard fridge with an ice maker in the space as well. A sink and a counter top microwave will finish things off. Our wine racks won't be so ostentatious, I don't think. First of all, I have no idea how people maintain a supply of wine like that in their homes. I just...don't. We're not wine collectors, though. We drink what we've got, and then we buy more. In my experience, wine that is saved for years and years turns into vinegar. And that is just gross. So we'll have a standard wine rack system, I think.

The fireplace area is another important part of the space. When Leo and I were in New Orleans recently, we stayed at a hotel that had a sitting area around a fireplace in their lounge, and I just loved it. It was what got me thinking about this whole remodel in the first place. I want that in our home, so I can sit there every night and read or sew or what have you, and have a glass of wine.

Yes, I want to be a boring-ass old lady, already, ok? I'm weird like that.

Here are some inspirations I'm working from right now for our own space:
Transitional Living Room by Minneapolis Interior Designers & Decorators Martha O'Hara Interiors

It will be a good mix of the traditional with a more contemporary flare...otherwise, I haven't quite decided on the exact finish I want to put in there. Making these decisions is the hard part! It's all going to be better than it used to be, for sure. But I don't want it to feel outdated in just a few years. I want it to stand the test of time, and that's why I'm leaning more toward a traditional bend in this area. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out!

Lastly, there WILL BE a secret bookcase door that leads to our office space. Something like this:
Rustic Family Room by Saratoga Springs Design-Build Firms Witt Construction

...except it will be in a tucked away corner that isn't as open as this look is. It's going to be so cool!

But for now, the weekend is here. I have an appointment at the spa this afternoon, and then some wine will be in order. And next week, the framing will begin, which is a whole new level of crazy, IMO! Good crazy, though. It's all good crazy...

No comments: