The last few weeks of remodeling have been pretty blah. Lots of waiting to hear back about the things we've chosen (cabinets are a bit over budget, but since we went under budget on the wainscoting, we can make it work; flooring is almost TWICE what we budgeted, so we have to find a new one we like, etc...), and rough-in stuff like plumbing and electrical crap that isn't super-exciting when it comes to photo updates.
But this week, they started the drywall install, since we passed our rough-in and insulation inspection last week. And now we have things like WALLS. ::happy dance::
Things don't look hugely different in the TV area. Here's where we started:
Not much of a huge change there, but we did get the little pony wall built where we'll have a countertop/bar seating area for additional people watching TV, or for us to eat meals on and stuff. You can see a little bit of that in the photo above.
This is a shot of the new "hallway" entrance to the office and workout room. I would have preferred a curved doorway entrance, but that costs a bundle to do, apparently. So I was reasonable and agreed to the squared-off hallway instead. It's a fun architectural element that adds a little elegance to the space, I think. (I hope!)
Here's an area where there HAS BEEN a bunch of change. The new bar area. This is what it looked like at the end of last week, when all the framing and insulation was complete:
And here's what it looks like now that it's been drywalled:
Those things sticking out of the walls are shelf brackets that will hold our floating upper shelves in the bar area. They attached them to the studs before hanging the drywall, and next, they'll tile around them.
Here's the full back area, now that it's been drywalled:
The left side of the room up there will be where we put our shuffleboard table. It's the perfect space for it!
One of the biggest changes in the overall space has been the former utility room, a.k.a. "The Man Room." It was a large space, and while Leo used it often for woodworking projects, and we stored a fair amount of stuff in there, it was mostly wasted space. And unsafe for woodworking because of the lack of ventilation. Here's what it used to look like:
We took out that big ol' water heater, and put in a tankless one. (We freaking LOVE those little things!) We also removed the work tables that were in there, and cleaned up all the wires headed to the electrical boards, and then put up new walls. This is the new entrance to the space:
They're mudding and taping the drywall today. I'm hoping that they will put in the new windows at the end of this week/beginning of next week, and that the primer will go up on the walls soon, too. Since we had a delay on the cabinets, we're a little behind in that regard. That might hold things up for a while, actually, so I'll update again as soon as I can. Keep your fingers crossed that everything continues to go smoothly from here!