Wednesday, April 09, 2014

What do YOU do with your spare time? Me? I'm into bitchy needlepoint...

Years ago, when I was working in my First Real Office Job after graduating from college, I had to travel a lot for work. I lived in California at the time, and worked in Chicago. (Lincolnshire, to be exact.) So every Sunday, I would drive from Carlsbad to LAX and fly to Chicago (through Denver...we used United, primarily), and then work in the office there from Monday through Thursday, and fly home Thursday afternoon. I would work from home Fridays, and then the whole thing would repeat starting Sunday again.

It was great when it came to collecting miles. 

But the whole sitting-in-an-airport-waiting-for-your-flight thing really sucked sometimes. Especially in winter months. Flying through Denver? Into Chicago? Yeah, not always fun in December, January, and February.

I needed something to do with all that spare time (flight delays were common and not entertaining), and I'm not sure where I got the idea, but I decided to do embroidery. On handkerchiefs, specifically. Little flowers, my initials, that sort of thing. Nothing amazing. In fact, I still have my first handkerchief I did back then (it was 1997)...it is a favorite because of how long it's lasted, but not because it looks super-pretty. The flowers on it look like a hot mess.

Anyway, I've got a friend that mentioned a while back that she heard Judi Dench had a hobby of making somewhat naughty needlepoint works for her costars when she's on set. Here's a HuffPo article about it

I loved that woman enough already, but that pushed her right over the edge into a favorite part of my heart that will live forever and ever, now. 

And it inspired me to do my own random, "naughty" needlepoint work. 

I don't know what to do with these. Maybe sell them in an Etsy shop, eventually. I dunno. But these specific ones are early samplings that I made that are throw-aways. Just testers of sorts. They're in my standard handwriting, and have little flowery designs on them that are traced from random places, or just freehanded.

It's a fun hobby. And soothing. Everyone should have a nice, soothing hobby that allows them to cuss at people in old-timey kinds of ways...

"I need more money and power...and less shit from you people."

"Reawaken - Rebirth - Renew - Reohshutup"

"Every day, I fall more and more in love with you. Well, not every day. Yesterday you were pretty annoying."


If anyone wants one, let me know. I can get them pretty customized, at this point, and if you have a suggestion for a phrase you think I should put into play, feel free to let me know!

No comments: