Monday, January 26, 2015

Wallpaper-removal mojo is not to be underestimated.

Ah, the art of wallpaper removal. Such a fun past time. ::sigh::

Actually, I find it strangely gratifying. It's an immediate gratification process, so maybe that's what makes it tolerable, in small doses. I don't know. Everyone has their own way they think works best, but for me, the entire piece being removed needs to be soaked in the warm water/soap/whatever-magical-potion-you-prefer mixture, and then the paper needs to be removed from the bottom up. In this photo, you can see the result of my attempting to remove from the top down.
It took me 30 minutes of fighting with the paper before I finally walked away, took a break, ate some food, and stretched my hands out a bit. Prior to that patch, I had been working with much smaller sections around the window, and on the soffit over the vanity area. It had taken me about an hour, or so, to clear two walls of paper, so things had been going well. So when I hit this frustrating point, it really riled me up!

And here you can see the results of me realizing what made the previous two walls so easy to peel, because I had done them from the bottom up, and I was able to finish this small wall in less than 25 minutes once I figure out that "secret".

Whoever wallpapered this bathroom was serious about it. They were so serious, they even wallpapered the air vent cover, the switchplate cover, and the plug cover. It...was a little nutty.

And here we are! Back to bare walls again! WOOHOO!

This one looks like it's been extensively patched, for some reason. Maybe there's a small human plastered into that wall?

We had the issue of having to patch the floor in there after removing the old vanity that had apparently been there since the house was built in the 80's. Thankfully, our contractors are here working on a deck project we have going on right now, so they were able to get some guys in here supah-fast, and the floor was patched up faster than you can say "holy shit! the floor is whole again!"

Right now, we're letting the floor stain dry, and then I can finish sanding the walls, and hopefully get some primer on them this week. I'm so excited to get it all completed! It's going to be so much more pretty, you guys. Say goodbye to the 90's, little powder bathroom! You will be more up-to-date and transitional than you ever have been in your life!

No comments: