Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Will we miss this wallpaper? No. No, we will not.

Our powder bathroom is a funny little thing. It's teensy. It's back in a corner of the house that people don't even notice unless it's pointed out to them, a lot of the time. It's decor is straight out the 90's, and has always reminded me a bit of the house I grew up in when my twin and I were in junior high, in Lake Arrowhead, CA. Kind of a rustic traditional type thing. It serves it's purpose well. But it has this GIANT vanity in it that makes no sense. And was apparently built into the room in spectacularly pain in the ass proportion. 

We've officially lived with it for, what? 4 years now? It's time for it to move on and say goodbye forevah.

For those who haven't had the opportunity to see this lovely little space, here are some before pics:
The toilet and the cute lil' window it sits below...
The monster vanity, and the outdated mirror wall above it.
Ahhh, wallpaper. I can see you want to be removed, my friend. No worries. It's a matter of time, now. You will be heading to wallpaper heaven vereh soon.
My favorite part of this wallpaper is that it shows every little scratch and scrape that happens to it. Such a fun quality!

Leo and I got started on Monday this week, pulling the doors off the cabinet, and taking all the hardware out of the room. That was easy, of course. And since we started another major reno on the house on Monday as well (that's another story for another post...), we have another Dumpster in our driveway right now. The vanity went in there today, as we tore it down piece by piece. WOO!

I forgot to get a picture of the pile of rubble that the vanity wound up being when we were done ripping it out, but suffice it to say, it was in a lot of bits. We salvaged the sink basin and the faucet, because they're both in great shape and can be donated. But the rest of it? The rest of it can SUCK MY BIG LEFT TOE. This is what the space looks like now:

Before we pulled it out 100%, I held on to my last hope that the hardwood floors somehow might continue underneath the damned thing. I bet Leo $5 that they did. We shook on it.

He won the bet.
HOWEVER, I was positive we could remove the huge mirror in one big piece, and Leo had no faith in that theory. And we DID it. One big piece. And even though we didn't make another bet on that one, I felt it was pretty much implied. So I said we're even, and since I'm a beautiful wife, I win at all the things in the end.

Which makes projects like this so much more fun!

The wallpaper will be next. Wish me luck, and send me big-pieces-of-wallpaper-coming-off-at-once vibes, if you would. Don't even talk to me about the floor. I haven't decided what we'll do there, yet. I have ideas...I'll share them maybe tomorrow or Friday. Let me know if you have any ideas...I'm open to suggestions.

1 comment:

Average Jane said...

Looks to me like the old striped wallpaper was actually nicer than the more recent design.